Shoppers Stock Up On Rifles, Shotguns Before California Long Gun Registry Begins
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A new gun law coming in 2014 has gun owners stocking up on long guns before a new registry begins.
Even though the law is at least temporarily boosting his bottom line, Just Guns owner John Deaser isn’t a fan. He says requiring people to register their rifles and shotguns is an unnecessary invasion of privacy.
In the last week of 2013, he says sales of long guns are up 30 to 50 percent.
The registry goes into effect on Jan. 1, and would require long gun owners to register their weapons like handgun owners already do. It would track the make, model and serial number of the gun, as well as the person who owns it.
Previously dealers would destroy personal information on long gun owners after a background check had been completed. Now they’ll register those purchases with the state.
Supporters of the new law say it will improve public safety and help keep guns out of the wrong hands.
Deaser says many of his customers are stocking up on long guns now rather than waiting until 2014 when they would have to register.
“These are law-abiding citizens,” he said. “They’re not trying to beat the system or anything like that. They just don’t want to be tracked.”
Avid hunter Jason Gudgel bought a shotgun for his son on Thursday, but he says it has nothing to do with the new law. He says the timing is because of the holidays.
“I teach my son hunter safety,” he said. “We do it as a sport. We hunt pheasant and deer, and that’s what they’re supposed to be meant for.”
- Thief Takes Off With Davis Children’s Artwork Set For School Auction
- Cal/OSHA: Serious Violations Contributed To Deadly Crane Crash In Winters
- ‘Black Seadevil’ Captured On Film During Deep Sea Dive
- MLS Ambitions Heighten Interest In Sac Republic FC Tryouts
- 1 Dead, Dozens Injured In Tour Bus Crash North Of Redding