UPDATED: Big Rig Catches Fire On Southbound I-5 In Lodi
Don't Miss This
- Man Accused Of Stabbing Sacramento Woman To Death Arrested
- Old Sacramento’s Gold Rush Days Panned Because Of Drought
- Colusa Husband And Wife Arrested For Allegedly Kidnapping Teen Who Made Their Child Cry
- Dolls Lefts On Doorsteps Were Meant To Spread Cheer Not Chill
- 5 Women Who Have Been Killin’ It This Summer
Get Breaking News First
LODI (CBS13) – Traffic was backed up for hours on southbound Interstate 5 in Lodi after a big rig caught fire early Wednesday morning.
At around 4:15 a.m., the truck was heading south on Interstate 5, just south of Woodbridge Road, when one of the tires blew and caught fire. The fire spread to the axle, then to the trailer and finally to the cab of the truck.
Firefighters spent hours battling the fire, which reignited several times because of the furniture being transported. They used circular saws to cut open the side of the trailer and unloaded its contents so they would’t catch fire again.
According to CHP Officer Rich Wetzel, crews were working to get the big rig off the road. The number two lane remains closed, causing traffic to be backed up.
The driver, his co-driver and dog are safe. He says he feels blessed no one was injured.
“The freight, the truck, everything else can be replaced, but we can’t,” the driver said.
The freeway is expected to be fully reopened around 1 p.m.