Elk Grove CarMax Flooded With Applications Ahead Of February Opening
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
ELK GROVE (CBS13) — CarMax says it’s been overwhelmed during its effort to fill 100 positions with people searching for jobs.
The new dealership isn’t even open, but thousands of people have come looking for work in Elk Grove.
“We’ve had over 5,000 applications to fill approximately 130 positions,” said Bruce Juchnik with CarMax.
That’s nearly 40 people competing for each job. While unemployment figures may be dropping, the volume of applications show how many people are looking for work in Sacramento.
“Right now, with a lot of companies that were looking to hire just seasonal jobs, at CarMax we are looking for people to start a career,” Juchnik said.
With new car sales on the rise, CarMax may not be the only dealership in the area hiring soon, said Brian Moss with the California New Car Dealers Association.
“Dealers are able to hire more sales, more people to work on all those sorts of things,” he said.
Early in the century, about 2 million cars were being sold each year in California. The recession slashed that number in half to around 1 million by 2009. But just last year, numbers were already bouncing back, with 1.7 million cars sold.
That gives dealerships hope that this could be a great year ahead.
CarMax is still accepting applications to fill 55 positions.