MANTECA (CBS13) – Police have arrested a Manteca man accused of killing his girlfriend’s 19-month-old daughter.
On Saturday at around 1:30 p.m., Manteca police received a call from a hospital emergency room reporting that a 19-month-old girl was brought to them unresponsive, according to a statement from Manteca P.D. When officers arrived, the child had already died. Due to the circumstances surrounding the child’s death, detectives were asked to investigate.
Detectives say the child was brought to the emergency room by the child’s mother’s boyfriend, 21-year-old Longino Lamont Tolefree Jr., of Manteca, after, Tolefree indicated, the child had medical issues.
The San Joaquin County Coroner’s Office on Monday conducted an autopsy on the child and found evidence indicating the girl was the victim of a homicide.
At around 6:30 p.m. Monday, detectives went to Tolefree’s workplace in Lathrop where they arrested him for the girl’s death. He was later booked into the San Joaquin County Jail on charges of child abuse on a child under 8 causing death, guardian infliction injury to child under 8 causing death, and corporal injury to a child under 8 years old.
Tolefree is being held on $1,050,000 bail and is scheduled to be arraigned on January 15 at 1:25 p.m. at Manteca Superior Court.
More Manteca-Related Stories
- Homeless Men Sue Manteca Over New Ordinances, Claiming Discrimination
- City Hall Exodus? Nearly Half Of Manteca’s Staff Eligible To Retire In January
- Large Pot Grow Raided In Manteca, $8M Worth Of Plants Discovered
- Manteca High School Students Can Earn Money Working On District’s Farm
- Manteca Worries New Bass Pro Shop In San Jose Could Leech Away Customers