Kimball Island Fire Almost Contained
Don't Miss This
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
- Folsom District’s Response To Seventh-Grader’s Suicide Drawing Heavy Scrutiny
KIMBALL ISLAND, Calif. (AP) — A fire burning on Kimball Island that led to evacuations is nearly contained after the blaze damaged three homes and some outbuildings.
A Solano County fire dispatcher said on Wednesday that there were still some visible flames, but that units had been cleared and the command terminated.
The U.S. Coast Guard evacuated at least four people from the island, which is only accessible by boat.
The brush fire started Tuesday and quickly grew as winds fanned the flames.
Officials said there are 20 buildings on the island just north of Antioch near the Contra Costa, Solano and Sacramento County borders.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.