Kimball Island Fire Almost Contained
Don't Miss This
- Man Rescued From Abandoned Mother Lode Mine
- Man Gets 3-Year Jail Sentence For Torturing Puppy In Front Of Daughter
- Mom, Daughter Record Bear’s Romp Through Auburn Cemetery
- Is This You? Gas Station Surveillance Video Reveals Stockton’s Latest Lottery Millionaire
- California Bans State Agencies From Selling Or Displaying Items With Confederate Flag
Get Breaking News First
KIMBALL ISLAND, Calif. (AP) — A fire burning on Kimball Island that led to evacuations is nearly contained after the blaze damaged three homes and some outbuildings.
A Solano County fire dispatcher said on Wednesday that there were still some visible flames, but that units had been cleared and the command terminated.
The U.S. Coast Guard evacuated at least four people from the island, which is only accessible by boat.
The brush fire started Tuesday and quickly grew as winds fanned the flames.
Officials said there are 20 buildings on the island just north of Antioch near the Contra Costa, Solano and Sacramento County borders.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.