SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a suspect wielding a metal spear and later a knife has been shot and killed by Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies.
Deputy Crystal Hernandez tells City News Service that bystanders reported a man was running in and out of traffic, waving a spear at people Thursday night in Santa Clarita.
He was confronted by deputies after he struck a passing vehicle with the implement.
Deputies opened fire but the suspect appeared unscathed and continued to behave erratically.
Hernandez says the man then approached deputies with a knife. Deputies fired again with multiple rounds striking him in the upper torso, according to Hernandez.
The suspect, who was not named, died at the scene.
No deputies were hurt.
The incident is under investigation.
More stories from our Offbeat section
- Who Stole Trailers Carrying 3,300 Cases Of Beer?
- Troopers Rescue Young Pig Along Freeway
- Dice Roll Breaks Tie In Race For Oregon Legislature Seat
- Fawn Runs Inside Colorado Man’s Home, Ends Up In Bathtub
- Women Accused Of Attacking McDonald’s Worker Strike Poses In Mugshots
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.