Manteca Mosque Vandalized With Vulgarities, Strips Of Raw Bacon
MANTECA (CBS13/AP) – Vandals have struck a California mosque for a second time, spray-painting vulgarities and leaving behind strips of raw bacon, an act that police are considering a possible hate crime.
Manteca police Sgt. Jodie Estarziau said Tuesday that investigators were called Jan. 28 and found the vulgarities and raw meat on the ground outside the Islamic Center of Manteca, which opened in June.
Muslims do not eat pork and may consider the act offensive.
- Is Southern California Sucking Northern Water Supply Dry During Drought?
- California Drought Could Wipe Cities Off Map If Their Water Runs Out
- District Manager: California Drought Curtailments Meant Wasting 100 Million Gallons Of Water
- California Water Rights System Is A Century-Old Knot That Will Be Difficult To Untangle
- California City: How A Developer’s Failed Dream Became The State’s Biggest Water Waster
The latest vandalism comes after mosque members discovered offensive language painted on the front sign of the mosque in November.
That vandal wrote “No Allah, Only God,” said Mohammad ElFarra, imam of the Islamic center.
“You can tell you’re dealing with someone who is ignorant and doesn’t know much,” he said, because Allah is the Islamic name for God. He said there have been no overt threats despite the offensive acts.
Estarziau said investigators have no leads and have asked for the FBI’s help.
“Manteca is a small town, beautiful town, and Muslims have been there for quite some time,” said Basim Elkarra with the Council On American-Islamic Relations, Sacramento Valley. “They’re using this opportunity to educate others and let others know who they are.”
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.