MANTECA (CBS13/AP) – Vandals have struck a California mosque for a second time, spray-painting vulgarities and leaving behind strips of raw bacon, an act that police are considering a possible hate crime.
Manteca police Sgt. Jodie Estarziau said Tuesday that investigators were called Jan. 28 and found the vulgarities and raw meat on the ground outside the Islamic Center of Manteca, which opened in June.
Muslims do not eat pork and may consider the act offensive.
- 140 Jobs Up For Grabs For New Vacaville Sprouts Store Opening In September
- NTSB Sends Specialist To Look Into California Tesla Fire
- Woman Responding To Craigslist Ad Makes Life-Saving Kidney Donation
- Homeland Security Secretary: We ‘Won’t Apologize For Doing Our Job’
- Survey Says Nearly Half Of Americans Are Skipping Summer Vacation This Year
The latest vandalism comes after mosque members discovered offensive language painted on the front sign of the mosque in November.
That vandal wrote “No Allah, Only God,” said Mohammad ElFarra, imam of the Islamic center.
“You can tell you’re dealing with someone who is ignorant and doesn’t know much,” he said, because Allah is the Islamic name for God. He said there have been no overt threats despite the offensive acts.
Estarziau said investigators have no leads and have asked for the FBI’s help.
“Manteca is a small town, beautiful town, and Muslims have been there for quite some time,” said Basim Elkarra with the Council On American-Islamic Relations, Sacramento Valley. “They’re using this opportunity to educate others and let others know who they are.”
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.