School District Sued After Students Lose Fingers In Tug-Of-War Accident
Don't Miss This
- Kings Rally Late, Win Vegas Summer Title
- 40-Year-Old Mom With Two Kids Becomes NFL Cheerleader
- Raw: Driver Records Cellphone Video Of Stockton Shootout
- Get Ready For More Delays As Interstate 80 Project Will Close Lanes Starting Saturday
- Video: Family, Friends Mourn Death Of Woman Taken Hostage By Bank Robbery Suspects
Get Breaking News First
Sports Fan Insider
LOS ANGELES (AP) – Two former high school students who lost fingers in a tug-of-war accident have sued a Southern California school district.
Seniors Pablo Ocegueda and Edith Rodriguez were taking part in a Spirit Week contest in February of last year at South El Monte High School when the rope tore off some of their fingers.
Reports at the time said they lost at least four fingers each.
City News Service says their lawsuit, filed Thursday in Los Angeles, contends that school officials failed to properly supervise the contest and allowed the students to grab a slipknot on the tug-of-war rope. The suit says the knot slipped, causing the injuries.
School Superintendent Nick Salerno issued a statement saying he couldn’t immediately comment.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.