UPDATE: Victims Identified In Plane Crash Near Truckee Tahoe Airport
Don't Miss This
- Man Accused Of Stabbing Sacramento Woman To Death Arrested
- Old Sacramento’s Gold Rush Days Panned Because Of Drought
- Colusa Husband And Wife Arrested For Allegedly Kidnapping Teen Who Made Their Child Cry
- Dolls Lefts On Doorsteps Were Meant To Spread Cheer Not Chill
- 5 Women Who Have Been Killin’ It This Summer
Get Breaking News First
TRUCKEE, Calif. (AP) – Rescuers say a woman died and her husband was critically injured when a single-engine plane crashed a few miles from California’s Truckee Tahoe Airport.
Placer County sheriff’s Capt. Jeff Ausnow tells the Reno Gazette-Journal (http://on.rgj.com/1cym2xZ ) that 70-year-old Ray Richard Farnell, the pilot, was hospitalized in Reno Monday night, and his wife, 55-year-old Darla Farnell, was pronounced dead at the scene. He says the couple were from Tahoe City. Ausnow says a California Highway Patrol helicopter spotted wreckage around 11:50 a.m.
Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Allen Kenitzer says the Piper PA-46 Malibu took off from Santa Ana. Ausnow says it went down in a rugged area about 6 miles southeast of the airport.
It was unknown why the plane crashed.
The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.