Falling Tree Kills Woman Driving On I-80 Near Vacaville
Don't Miss This
- Women Respond To Ice Bucket Challenge By Raising Money For California Town With Dry Wells
- Stockton Man Pleads For Return Of Dog Stolen From His Car
- Sketch Released Of Suspect Wanted For 2 Stabbings Near Downtown Sacramento
- Roseville Woman Run Over By Own SUV, Dies
- U-Haul Crashes Into Citrus Heights Home, Hitting Baby’s Room
Get Breaking News First
VACAVILLE (CBS13) – A woman has died after her car was crushed by a falling tree as she drove down I-80 Sunday.
The incident happened around 1:43 p.m. along westbound I-80 near the Cherry Glen Road off-ramp just outside of Vacaville. According to California Highway Patrol, the car was hit by a falling tree, then continued on for about a fourth of a mile before finally crashing into the center divide.
A windshield left behind on the roadway shows some of the damage.
The driver – identified as a 23-year-old woman from Oakland – was the only occupant in the car.
The tree that fell sits right along the highway. An early CHP report indicated that the land is not controlled by Caltrans and that Solano County and the City of Vacaville would be contacted to determine the owner.
Neither the county nor city answered calls from CBS13 Sunday night.
CHP issued a Sig Alert for the highway as traffic backed up all the way to Davis. The alert was canceled by 3:30 p.m.