Fortunate Cookie Wins California Woman $421K
Don't Miss This
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
- Researchers Say Sacramento’s Bad Roads Are Bad For Business
- Mountain Lion Linked To Southern California Boy’s Attack Killed By Wildlife Officials
Get Breaking News First
LOS GATOS (AP) — A cookie didn’t just tell a Northern California woman’s fortune, it won her one.
The California Lottery said Sunday that Merces Goncalves used the numbers found inside a fortune cookie to win over $421,000 in the Mega Millions game. The cookie still wasn’t quite as fortunate as it could have been — she had Mega number 9 when the correct number 10 would have made the prize $240 million.
The retired Goncalves says she and husband Alvaro Goncalves plan to take a Hawaiian honeymoon they meant to take 52 years ago.
She bought the winning ticket at a liquor store in Los Gatos in Santa Clara County, where a $425 million Powerball ticket was sold last month a $324 million Mega Millions ticket was sold in December.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.