Fortunate Cookie Wins California Woman $421K
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
LOS GATOS (AP) — A cookie didn’t just tell a Northern California woman’s fortune, it won her one.
The California Lottery said Sunday that Merces Goncalves used the numbers found inside a fortune cookie to win over $421,000 in the Mega Millions game. The cookie still wasn’t quite as fortunate as it could have been — she had Mega number 9 when the correct number 10 would have made the prize $240 million.
The retired Goncalves says she and husband Alvaro Goncalves plan to take a Hawaiian honeymoon they meant to take 52 years ago.
She bought the winning ticket at a liquor store in Los Gatos in Santa Clara County, where a $425 million Powerball ticket was sold last month a $324 million Mega Millions ticket was sold in December.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.