Sheriff: Missing Snowboarder Hiked Himself Out
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
NEVADA COUNTY (CBS13) – A snowboarder who had been missing since Monday in the Castle Peak area has been found safe, the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office says.
Abraham Finkelstein, a 25-year-old San Francisco resident, was out snowboarding with his father when the two got separated at some point between Castle Peak and Peter Grub Hut. Cold and the snowy conditions contributed to the two being separated, deputies say.
Search and rescue teams started their search late Monday afternoon.
Tuesday, just after 8 p.m., Finkelstein hiked himself out near Skeritt Lane and Donner Pass Road. Finkelstein told the rescue crews he hiked most of the day and night, following a creek. He had also made a makeshift shelter for himself with his snowboard and other items in order to survive the night.
Authorities note that Finkelstein looks to be in good spirits and good health.
The Nevada County Sheriff’s Office is thanking all the crews who came out to help in the search for Finkelstein, including the California Office of Emergency Services, Tahoe Back Country Ski Patrol, Tahoe Nordic Ski Patrol, Placer County Sheriff’s Office and volunteers with the Nevada County Search and Rescue team.
More Local News
- Deputy Shooting Suspect Will Face Murder, Carjacking Charges
- Deadly Day Claims Lives Of Deputies In Sacramento, Placer Counties
- Placer County Sheriff’s Deputy Killed 26 Years To Day Of Father’s On-Duty Death
- Car Salesman In Critical Condition After Attempted Carjacking By Deputy Shooting Suspects
- Manhunt For Deputy Shootings Suspects Throws Auburn Community Into Chaos