UC Student Workers Protesting Alleged Intimidation
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
DAVIS (CBS13) – Student workers at UC Davis were on the picket line Thursday as they protest alleged intimidation and unfair treatment by the University of California.
“We’re the main frontline educators here at the UC and we’ve been experiencing a pattern of intimidation from UC management,” protester Caroline McKusick said.
The protests started at UC campuses on Wednesday and will end Thursday. Student workers part of the UC Student-Worker Union UAW 2865 allege that the university has been threatening members with losing their jobs if they protest.
About 13,000 student workers are members of UAW 2865.
Wednesday’s strike at UC Santa Cruz saw 20 picketers arrested for blocking traffic.
Protesters at Davis’ event noted that they have received a lot of support from faculty members, including some who have canceled their classes for the day.