Councilwoman: Natomas Park Still Safe In Wake Of Deadly Birthday Party Shooting
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
NATOMAS (CBS13) — In the wake of a deadly birthday party shooting, the councilwoman who represents the area says she’s confident an arrest will be made and that the park is still safe.
The shooting at Peregrine Park on Saturday killed 29-year-old Jacoby James was killed and injured six people, including a 7-year-old girl who was hit in the leg. They believe it may be gang-related.
Sacramento City Councilwoman Angelique Ashby is the mother of a 1-year-old child just a day older than the whose birthday was being celebrated before the bullets started flying.
She got the call about the deadly shooting from a police captain and went to the scene. Ashby saw the bullets had deflated a bounce house and pierced neighbors’ cars.
“It’s definitely the most violent crime I’ve heard of since i’ve been living here or on the council,” she said.
Now she’s playing the role of park ambassador, reminding residents of the park’s safe history since it was built five years ago—no calls for service for serious crimes.
“Folks at that event were targeted, and the venue itself was not the target,” she said.
Spencer Williams walks through this park every day, but today he says it feels different.
“It could have happened while I was on my walk, and I could have got hit by a stray bullet,” he said.
With no suspect descriptions or vehicle descriptions released—witnesses have told CBS13 the shooter’s car was a gold, 4-door Buick—are police closing in on an arrest?
“I have a great deal of confidence in the Sacramento Police Department,” she said.