VALLEJO (CBS13) – One person was killed Monday morning in Vallejo when the semi they were riding in left the freeway and hit some trees.
CHP says the crash happened on westbound I-80 near Tennessee Street at around 3 a.m. The driver told officers he fell asleep. The truck drifted to the right, left the road and slammed into some trees, ripping off the right side of the cab and throwing out the passenger who was not wearing a seat belt.
“The truck hit the first tree and ripped of the entire right side of the cab and the roof and the side of the box and the roof and the lift gate or the roll-up door on the back. And it came to rest on that tree and the fence,” said CHP Officer Andrew Brown. “The passenger was ejected and sustained fatal injuries.”
The truck was reportedly hauling mattresses from Macy’s in Sacramento to a destination in the Bay Area.
CHP says hazmat crews were called to the crash site to clean up spilled diesel fuel.
The name of the person who was killed has not been released.
- Search For Vallejo Teen Girl Goes On After Suspect Killed
- Friends, Family Hopeful Pearl Pinson Can Be Found
- Attorney In Bizarre Vallejo Kidnapping Case Worried Justice Isn’t Being Served
- Missing Vallejo Teen Last Seen Being Pulled By Man With Gun
- Vallejo Unveils Plans For Electric Car Plant At Ex-Shipyard