Cal Expo Fireworks Show Spectators Undeterred By Fire
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Thousands of visitors to Cal Expo were excited about one thing: fireworks.
Even with smoke settling around Cal Expo from the afternoon fire, families we spoke to say they didn’t want to miss the show.
“You can’t stop this; this is tradition, man,” said one spectator.
“We were just waiting around hoping that it was still going to go on because I didn’t want to drive back to Stockton,” said a spectator.
The fireworks extravaganza was in jeopardy of not going on for the 15th straight year, but Cal Expo and fire officials say the air quality improved enough to go forward.
“We were mostly concerned just about the smoke, and as the smoke dissipates we felt that it was definitely safe for people to come,” said Cal Expo spokeswoman Jen Castleberry.
Safety was a concern as the smoke was still too heavy after firefighters got the flames under control. It meant the Sacramento Republic FC soccer match would be canceled at Bonney Field.
“Due to the air quality, with an outdoor stadium and dealing with athletes, it was best to cancel for this evening,” said Erika Bjork, a Sacramento Republic FC spokesperson.
With each car that arrived, a Republic FC employee was there to tell the fans they’d have to come back another day.
“We had everybody and we were looking forward to the fireworks too,” said a fan.
Fans were upset, but knew that there wasn’t any other option.
“It’s my first soccer match. We were really looking forward to it, but we understand,” said a fan.
Tickets that were sold will be honored at a later game.
- American River Parkway Fires Put Focus On Homeless Camps Amid Dry Brush
- Thieves Targeting California State Fair Parking Lots For Catalytic Converters
- American River Trail Fire Stopped At 30 Acres, Slowed Evening Commute
- Cal Expo Fire Evacuation Called Into Question After Main Gate Closed During July 4 Fire
- Cal Expo Fireworks Show Spectators Undeterred By Fire