WATCH LIVE: CBS13 News 

5 Garth Brooks Shows Scuttled In Ireland After Battle Between Venue Owners, Residents

View Comments
(Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

(Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

DUBLIN (AP) – Like an ill-fated romance in a country song, Garth Brooks and Dublin just weren’t meant to be.

Five Irish concerts by the country music star were called off on Tuesday after a battle between venue owners and local residents that became a national furor.

More than 400,000 tickets had been sold for the gigs, due to start at Croke Park stadium on July 25.

The stint had been billed as a “Comeback Special” for the 52-year-old superstar after more than a decade of semi-retirement.

Brooks was originally scheduled to play two shows, and when the number of performances was increased to cope with demand, some nearby residents complained.

Dublin City Council last week refused to grant permission for five shows, saying they would cause “an unacceptable level of disruption” for residents and businesses.

The dispute grew increasingly bitter, sparking a legal bid by some residents to have the shows canceled, and a rival petition calling for them all to go ahead.

Brooks released a statement last week saying he would play five shows or none.

“To choose which shows to do and which shows not to do, would be like asking to choose one child over another,” he said.

Promoter Peter Aiken said Tuesday that attempts to reach agreement among the feuding parties had failed and “no concerts will take place.”

Ticket-seller Ticketmaster said it would be offering refunds.

Brooks is one of the best-selling musicians in U.S. history, with more than 128 million albums sold, and helped make country music an international phenomenon.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus