State Charges Against ‘Hot Convict’ Dropped In Favor Of Federal Charges
STOCKTON (CBS13) – State charges against “Hot Convict” Jeremy Meeks have been dropped in favor of federal charges.
The decision was announced in a court hearing Tuesday.
Meeks gained notoriety for his looks when a mug shot of him went viral.
During Meeks’ arraignment back in June, family and friends expressed their displeasure with the social media furor surrounding the man facing eleven felony counts.
“It’s ridiculous,” said friend Rajanique Davis back on June 20. “People are making jokes when this is not funny at all.”
The infamous mugshot was originally posted to the Stockton Police Department’s Facebook page back on June 18. It has since garnered over 100,000 likes, over 12,000 shares, and over 26,000 comments.
Meeks, 30, is being held on $1,050,000 bail at San Joaquin County Jail where he faces felony weapons charges as part of Weston Ranch Operation Ceasefire, which targeted an increase in shootings and robberies in the area.
- State Charges Against ‘Hot Convict’ Dropped In Favor Of Federal Charges
- Meeks Arrest Highlights San Joaquin County’s Unusually High Bail Schedule
- ‘Dreamy McMugshot’ Jeremy Meeks Indicted On Federal Charges
- Reports: ‘Hot Convict’ Jeremy Meeks Signs Modeling Contract
- Law Enforcement Using Social Media To Solve Crimes, Reach Out To Community