Mother’s Boyfriend Arrested After Death Of 14-Month-Old Girl
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A 19-year-old man is under arrest by Sacramento Police after investigators say a baby suffered fatal injuries while in his care.
According to the Sacramento Police Department, officers were called to investigate after an injured 14-month-old girl, later identified as Leila Shehadeh, was brought to Sacramento Fire Station #17 late Friday afternoon. The baby was taken to the UC Davis Medical Center but was later pronounced dead.
Police detectives were soon called to the hospital and Shehadeh’s home along Andy Circle in Sacramento due to unexplained injuries found on the girl.
Investigators found that the girl was in the care of her mother’s boyfriend – 19-year-old Guyland Washington. When the mother came home from work, investigators say that the woman found that her daughter was injured and took the baby to the nearby fire station.
“I just can’t believe he would do something like that,” neighbor Allen Jefferson told CBS13.
Jefferson said police swarmed the neighborhood and even questioned him.
“He said, ‘You know anything about a baby?’ First I said ‘no’ because I had forgotten, and [then] I remember, ‘Yeah, there was a baby,'” Jefferson said.
Washington was arrested Saturday morning following the investigation by police. He has been booked at Sacramento County Jail on charge of murder.