Krispy Kreme Moves In Next Door, Mom And Pop Shop Steps Up Its Game
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – The future of family-owned Bakers Donuts seemed fried after Krispy Kreme moved in next door.
“We were in the red four months ago,” said owner Douglas Hem.
Fearing they’d have to close the register for good, they decided – instead of throwing in the spatulas and mixers – they’d just mix up their predictable menu into something much bigger and sweeter.
“Everyone wants to try our ‘cronuts’… croissant donuts,” Hem said.
Their most recent concoction, the ice cream donut, hit the shelves just five days ago.
“We’re going to get everyone addicted to all sugar!” Hem said.
Regulars to first-timers are tasting the difference.
“Yeah we noticed a difference. We are here every day,” said customer Linda Massaro.
The majority of customers who found out about the confections did so on social media
“I seen it on Instagram,” said cronut shopper Pedro Trevizo.
The shop hasn’t spent a dime on advertising its new donuts, but say they’ve nearly tripled sales since November.
Find Bakers Donuts at 5880 Florin Road in Sacramento.