Farm-To-Fork Festival Will Go On As Planned In Sacramento Despite Drought
Don't Miss This
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
- Folsom District’s Response To Seventh-Grader’s Suicide Drawing Heavy Scrutiny
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Despite a dire drought situation sending grocery store prices higher, the second-annual Farm to Fork Festival will go on as scheduled in September.
Last year’s event drew thousands to the Capitol Mall, and packed Downtown Sacramento with fresh food, from farmers and local restaurants featuring local produce.
At a Friday press conference, festival organizers say they are expecting even more success this year, but admits the drought will cause visitors to dig a little deeper.
California’s severe drought has cut the produce harvest on local farms.
“The drought has basically made the price go up because there’s less,” said Jim Mills with wholesaler Producer Express. “And if you have less of something and the demand is there the price always goes up.”
Scott Ostrander, a professional chef at Esquire Grill, says even before the big festival kicks off, the drought is already creeping its way into local restaurants.
“The cost and what we have to put on the plate, that reflects daily on our menus,” he said
And the menus at our dinner tables. Wholesalers say in the next few months, the drought will hit Californians hard in the grocery store aisles.
Consumers will likely see a significant price increase in produce, meat and cheese.
Because September we’ll see the effect of this lack of product finally becoming prevalent throughout the entire market,” Mills said.
The festival kicks off Sept. 13.