STOCKTON – Just when you thought it was gone for good, the Stockton Asparagus Festival gets another chance.
The man, who is saving it is the same man who rescued the Stockton 99 Speedway.
“I’m just a local farmer in the area,” said Tony Noceti.
Tony Noceti does harvest walnuts in French Camp, but he has a history of bringing beloved Stockton history back to life. In 2008, Noceti and his wife, Carol, reopened the Stockton speedway.
“It was originally built in 1947,” said Noceti of the track that closed in 2006. “We reopened it. It’s on its 65th year.”
Last month, the Stockton Asparagus Festival Board of Directors announced the festival became too costly and called it quits. Board member Doug Wilhoit said no one stepped up to the plate to take over the festival.
Noceti said he called Wilhoit after hearing his interview with CBS13.
“We’ve been a big supporter of that [Stockton Asparagus Festival] for the last five years, taking race cars, showing things off to people,” said Noceti. “We’ve got to preserve things, just like this racetrack right here.”
Noceti hinted that the festival could move to the county fairgrounds, the site of his Wednesday press conference. He refused to reveal sponsors, but did say the festival is definitely happening next year.
“Green light’s on.”