CHP Officer Shoots, Kills Suspect In Rural Stockton
Don't Miss This
- More Than 100 American Laser Skincare Closures Leave Customers Without Thousands Of Dollars
- Rancho Cordova Neighborhood Watch Started With A Facebook Group
- Sacramento Gun Stores Gearing Up For Black Friday Sales Surge
- Call Kurtis: Smart & Stupid Black Friday Buys
- Logic Behind Ferguson Grand Jury’s Decision Not To Indict Police Officer May Remain Mystery
STOCKTON (CBS13) – Authorities say that a man has been killed in a shooting involving a California Highway Patrol in northeast Stockton Saturday afternoon.
The scene is along Oneto Road, south of Foppiano Lane. CHP says that an officer showed up at the scene shortly after 3 p.m. after a report of reckless driver and saw a car that that had crashed into a cherry orchard.
As the officer approached the vehicle, CHP says a person got out of the car and confronted the officer and pulled out a weapon. The officer then pulled out his gun and shot the suspect in self-defense.
Investigators later said identified that the suspect had a knife and approached the officer.
The officer immediately gave the man medical aid, but the suspect was later pronounced dead at the scene.
Joanna Gonzalez’ home is tucked away in the orchard, just steps away from the deadly incident.
“I was just coming outside my house and I saw cop cars and then the ambulance leave,” Gonzalez said.
CHP says the officer is a 6-year veteran and will be placed on administrative leave until the investigation is completed.
Multiple agencies are investigating the incident. No one else was in the car when the officer showed up at the scene. However, investigators are looking into the possibility that someone else may have left before the officer arrived.