District Shelves Controversial Sex Education Book
Don't Miss This
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
- Researchers Say Sacramento’s Bad Roads Are Bad For Business
- Mountain Lion Linked To Southern California Boy’s Attack Killed By Wildlife Officials
Get Breaking News First
FREMONT (AP) – A Northern California school district is shelving a controversial sex education textbook that some parents say is extremely inappropriate for students.
Fremont Unified School District Superintendent Jim Morris says he is now recommending the school board put on hold using a book, “Your Health Today,” that’s intended for ninth-graders until parents’ concerns about its contents can be further vetted.
Morris says in a statement on the district’s website Friday that district officials are talking with the book’s publisher about modifying some of the content after complaints that the book contains references too racy for students.
More than 2,000 people have signed an online petition calling on the district to not use the book.
The district says it intends to use a textbook from last year pending the board’s approval.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.