District Shelves Controversial Sex Education Book
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
FREMONT (AP) – A Northern California school district is shelving a controversial sex education textbook that some parents say is extremely inappropriate for students.
Fremont Unified School District Superintendent Jim Morris says he is now recommending the school board put on hold using a book, “Your Health Today,” that’s intended for ninth-graders until parents’ concerns about its contents can be further vetted.
Morris says in a statement on the district’s website Friday that district officials are talking with the book’s publisher about modifying some of the content after complaints that the book contains references too racy for students.
More than 2,000 people have signed an online petition calling on the district to not use the book.
The district says it intends to use a textbook from last year pending the board’s approval.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.