WOODLAND (CBS13) – Part of Interstate 5 in Woodland was closed Tuesday morning after a suspect was shot by a CHP officer.
The suspect has been identified as Heath Austin Nunes, 38, of Lincoln.
Just before midnight Monday, two motorcycles and a vehicle were parked along southbound Interstate 5, near County Road 102. When a CHP officer stopped to investigate, the people riding the motorcycles told the officer they fixed a mechanical problem they were having and rode away, according to Officer Pedro Leon, a spokesman for the CHP.
The officer contacted Nunes, who was the driver of the vehicle, and decided to conduct a DUI test. Leon says Nunes became uncooperative and allegedly pulled out a gun. Fearing for his safety, the officer shot Nunes several times.
Nunes was taken by helicopter to UC Davis Medical Center.
This is the second shooting in Woodland in two days.
- Stadium Costs Keep Woodland High Football Team Off Of Home Field
- Davis Man, 47, Dies In Custody At Yolo County Jail
- Woodland DJ On A Mission To Wipe Out District’s School Lunch Debt
- Residents Skeptical If New Cameras Will Cut Crime At Woodland’s Freeman Park
- Car Crashes Through The Front Of Woodland Store