WOODLAND (CBS13) – Part of Interstate 5 in Woodland was closed Tuesday morning after a suspect was shot by a CHP officer.
The suspect has been identified as Heath Austin Nunes, 38, of Lincoln.
Just before midnight Monday, two motorcycles and a vehicle were parked along southbound Interstate 5, near County Road 102. When a CHP officer stopped to investigate, the people riding the motorcycles told the officer they fixed a mechanical problem they were having and rode away, according to Officer Pedro Leon, a spokesman for the CHP.
The officer contacted Nunes, who was the driver of the vehicle, and decided to conduct a DUI test. Leon says Nunes became uncooperative and allegedly pulled out a gun. Fearing for his safety, the officer shot Nunes several times.
Nunes was taken by helicopter to UC Davis Medical Center.
This is the second shooting in Woodland in two days.
- Popular Woodland Bar Set To Reopen After Deadly Stabbing
- CHP: Sacramento Man Totals Patrol Vehicle In Woodland Crash
- Woodland Police Asking For Help In Finding Missing 13-Year-Old Boy
- Truck Drivers Say Fatigue Is A Risk They Have To Manage On California Highways
- Student Big Rig Driver Falls Asleep, Crashes Near Woodland