WOODLAND (CBS13) – Part of Interstate 5 in Woodland was closed Tuesday morning after a suspect was shot by a CHP officer.
The suspect has been identified as Heath Austin Nunes, 38, of Lincoln.
Just before midnight Monday, two motorcycles and a vehicle were parked along southbound Interstate 5, near County Road 102. When a CHP officer stopped to investigate, the people riding the motorcycles told the officer they fixed a mechanical problem they were having and rode away, according to Officer Pedro Leon, a spokesman for the CHP.
The officer contacted Nunes, who was the driver of the vehicle, and decided to conduct a DUI test. Leon says Nunes became uncooperative and allegedly pulled out a gun. Fearing for his safety, the officer shot Nunes several times.
Nunes was taken by helicopter to UC Davis Medical Center.
This is the second shooting in Woodland in two days.
- Man Shot In Woodland Shopping Center Parking Lot
- Mom Demands Answers After Bullying Forces Son Out Of School
- Dutch Bros. In Davis, Dixon And Woodland Holding Fundraiser For Murdered Mother
- Search On For Ex-Boyfriend After Missing Woman Found Dead In Car
- Full Interview With Ex-Boyfriend Of Woman Found Dead In Woodland Parking Lot