UPDATE: CHP Identifies Man Shot By Officer On I-5 In Woodland
WOODLAND (CBS13) – Part of Interstate 5 in Woodland was closed Tuesday morning after a suspect was shot by a CHP officer.
The suspect has been identified as Heath Austin Nunes, 38, of Lincoln.
Just before midnight Monday, two motorcycles and a vehicle were parked along southbound Interstate 5, near County Road 102. When a CHP officer stopped to investigate, the people riding the motorcycles told the officer they fixed a mechanical problem they were having and rode away, according to Officer Pedro Leon, a spokesman for the CHP.
The officer contacted Nunes, who was the driver of the vehicle, and decided to conduct a DUI test. Leon says Nunes became uncooperative and allegedly pulled out a gun. Fearing for his safety, the officer shot Nunes several times.
Nunes was taken by helicopter to UC Davis Medical Center.
This is the second shooting in Woodland in two days.
- Australian Olive Oil Company Picks Woodland For Site Of Processing Foothold In United States
- Woodland Man Searching For Wallet In Garbage Truck Gets Stuck, Taken To Dump
- Police: Vandals Hit Woodland Schools 3 Times In 3 Days
- Velocity Island Drawing International Wakeboarding Attention To Woodland
- CHP Officer Arrested On Domestic Violence Charges In Woodland