Nick Janes joined KOVR/KMAX in December 2008.
Nick comes to Northern California all the way from the Midwest. He spent two years as a general assignment reporter at WICD-TV, the ABC affiliate in Champaign, Illinois. You can trace his passion for journalism back to high school, where he co-founded the school’s newspaper. Nick’s internship at MSNBC while in college cemented his desire to be a reporter.
He thanks his lucky stars to leave the chilly, snowy weather of Illinois behind for the sunshine of California. His huge Italian family back in the Chicago area and Wisconsin is jealous!
Janes earned a degree in broadcast journalism from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Getting Answers with Nick Janes
1) How long have you lived in Northern California? 4 1/2 years
2) Where are you from originally? I was born in Hinsdale, a Western suburb of Chicago and lived in Illinois and Wisconsin, then back in Illinois before heading West.
3) Do you have any siblings? Two younger sisters: Anya and Lenora.
4) Do you have any pets? No
5) iPhone or Android? Recent iPhone convert!
6) What’s your favorite app? It’s a tie between Facebook and Tweetcaster.
7) What’s your favorite thing about working in news? This is a cliche, but I love coming into work and not knowing where I’ll go or who I’ll talk to every day. Also — nothing beats the adrenaline rush of breaking news!!
8) What’s your favorite book? To Kill A Mockingbird
9) What’s your favorite movie? I can’t pick one so here are a few: Magnolia, 2001: A Space Odyssey & Annie Hall.
10) What’s your favorite TV show? Homeland!!! Best show on TV.
11) Who is your favorite band? Well…I love jazz and underground hip-hop. My favorite musician is John Coltrane.
12) What’s your favorite concert you’ve ever been to? I once saw BB King & Eric Clapton — incredible.
13) What’s the one thing about you that would surprise us? My friends and family know this, but I love to cook gourmet Italian food!!!
14) What’s your favorite past time? Watching sports (Chicago Bulls, Bears & White Sox) & working out!!
15) If you could drive any car – what would it be? I’d have to choose between a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche.
16) Who’s the person you most admire? My parents: my mom and dad taught me everything I know.
17) What’s your favorite quote? Generally anything from “Deep Thoughts,” by Jack Handey.
18) What’s the one place you’d like to visit that you’ve never been to before? Italy — I still have relatives there in several regions of the country. It’s on the bucket list.
19) What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited? Back when I lived in the Midwest, I would’ve said California, but now that I’m here… it’s gotta be Hawaii!!
20) If you were stranded on a desert island, and had the chance to take just one item with you, what would it be? It’d have to be my iPod; I can’t live without music.
21) What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever overheard someone say? This is a tough one.. in the context of the job, when we’re out on a story and someone recognizes me as someone else at CBS13. That’s always worth a laugh.
22) Who’s your favorite actor/actress? Can I say I don’t have one? My favorite directors are probably Darren Aronofsky, Stanley Kubrick and Paul Thomas Anderson.
23) What’s your favorite line of dialogue from a movie? “I’m sorry Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that.” (2001: A Space Odyssey)
24) What do you do for exercise? P90X, Insanity & Asylum (though mostly P90X these days).
25) What’s your favorite area restaurant? Gotta go with Il Fornaio; I’d eat there a lot growing up when visiting my family in Palo Alto.
26) What food could you not live without? Pasta!!!!!!! I have it just about every day.
27) What’s your favorite Northern California attraction? Can’t beat the coast. Close second-place finish to NapaValley, and a bronze medal for Tahoe.
28) Where’s the strangest/farthest place you’ve been recognized? Any airport that’s not in Sacramento when I’m about to board a flight back to Sac! It’s always a shock until I put two and two together.
29) At what age did you decide you were interested in news? From a very young age — I used to do play-by-play to my sports video games. I always thought I’d end up doing something in communications or journalism.
30) What’s the world’s biggest question that you’d like to find the answer to? When will the Bears next win the Super Bowl?
Nick’s recent stories
- Another Motel Claims State Contractor Tried To Sneak Sexually Violent Predator Into RoomFraisure Smith’s stay at the Dixon Motel lasted barely more than a day before motel owners kicked him out.
- Rocklin Special Education Teacher Accused Of Tipping Special-Needs Child Out Of Her ChairThe Valley View Elementary School teacher has not been identified, but has been placed on administrative leave.
- Travel Warning Has Some Rethinking Thanksgiving Travel PlansRandy Long was high on a ladder cleaning out his gutters on Monday, but don’t expect to see him on a plane anytime soon.
- Elk Grove Substitute Teacher Shortage Has District Turning To ParentsElk Grove Unified School District’s David Riley came up with an interesting and unique idea—turning parents into teachers.
- How Did A State Contractor Slip A Sexually Violent Criminal Past Motel Management?Smith’s move is monitored, and news media and Vallejo leaders knew he’d move into the Motel 6. So how is it possible motel staff did not?
- Vallejo Mayor Furious To Learn Violent Sex Offender Was Quietly Released As TransientMayor Osby Davis says people at city hall were surprised and frankly frustrated to learn Fraisure Smith would be placed in Vallejo, because nobody notified the city it was happening.
- Public Health: Most Danger From American River College Tuberculosis Case Has Passed“If a person was not in close proximity with that person for an extended period of time, there's a very low risk.”
- Opposition Growing To Rocklin Behavioral Health Hospital Near SchoolThe proposed site is on West Ranch View Drive near Whitney High School and a Rocklin neighborhood.
- Turlock Police Warning Women To Be On Guard Following Spate Of AssaultsPolice say some of the attacks are sexual assaults and they’re warning women to pay extra attention to their surroundings.
- Sacramento Kings Beat Detroit Pistons Despite Rumors Swirling Of Organizational UpheavalMany reports surfaced before Wednesday’s game describing turmoil at virtually every level of the organization, from ownership to the locker room.
- Sacramento Marine Vet Says He Was Beaten Over Mistaken Case Of Stolen ValorIt happened over the weekend at The Long Shot, an Arden-area bar. Michael Delfin says the man was looking for a fight, saying Delfin had never served.
- Roseville Charter School Warned About Sexually Violent Predator Moving In NearbyWhen CBS13 went to the office, Bryan Cook was inside. He didn’t want to go on camera, but the 75-year-old said he was recently released from a state hospital.
- Cool Crime Spree Has El Dorado County Residents On EdgeThere aren't many places like Cool left in California. This is the kind of place where people trust their neighbors to the point they don't even lock their doors.
- Haunting Surveillance Video Captures Stockton Teen’s Screams During Attempted AbductionStockton Police are searching for a car in connection with the attempted kidnapping of a teenage girl as she walked to school on Friday morning.
- Would-Be Prospectors Busted Mining For Gold Under Old Town Auburn RestaurantIn a place known for the California Gold Rush, some would-be prospectors went looking for gold in the last place you’d probably expect.
- Fired Dixon Police Chief Says He’s At Peace With City’s Decision, Planning Next StepA well-loved, longtime police chief has been fired, though the reason why he’s out of a job remains a total mystery.
- Surveillance Video Shows Moments Before Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting In ModestoThe gunman was confronted and fatally shot by a police officer on Saturday morning, who happened to be getting gas at the end of his shift.
- Uptick In Sacramento Murder Rate Comes After City Hit Lowest Numbers Since 1973After a long trend downward, including the lowest number of homicides since 1973 in 2014, there’s been an uptick in crime in Sacramento.
- Nevada City Halloween Parade Called Off After Neighbors Complain It Got Too PopularWith the holiday falling on a Saturday, some thought the crowds at the two-year-old parade would be too big.
- Rocklin Parents Leery Of Pick For New Mental Health Facility LocationThe city says the new behavioral health hospital would have around the clock security on West Ranch View Drive, west of Wildcat Boulevard.