Tony Lopez has been a proud member of the CBS13 news team for nearly a decade, now. Hired to launch Sacramento’s only local news at 4 p.m., he continues to bring viewers their first afternoon news of the day, including breaking news at it happens.
Tony also is one of our primary reporters for our evening newscasts. His “Getting Answers: Road Tours” can be seen weekly during our 10 p.m. news. A native of Los Angeles (don’t worry, he’s not a Lakers fan), Tony has worked for stations in California, Texas and Colorado. He’s been in the business for more than 25 years.
First and foremost, Tony is a husband and father. He and his wife have been married more than 20 years, and keep busy raising a growing teenager.
When he’s not working, Tony enjoys running with his dog, coaching youth football, and just enjoying life.
Getting Answers with Tony Lopez
1. How long have you lived in Northern California? This is my second stint in Nor Cal. I was here in the early 90’s and now, for the last 7 + years. So, combined..close to a decade.
2. Where are you from originally? I’m pretty sure my Mother gave birth to me about 47 years ago in the Los Angeles area.
3. Do you have any siblings? I have more siblings than Morgan Freeman has freckles. Okay, not really, but I’m the youngest of 8!
4. iPhone or Android? I have an I-Phone.
5. What’s your favorite app? Probably my Major League Baseball App so I can watch games and highlights when I’m supposed to be reading the news on set.
6. What’s your favorite thing about working in news? I’ve always wanted to wear make-up everyday and this gives me the chance to do that and not feel really weird about it. Seriously, the job is something different everyday. It’s never boring.
7. What’s your favorite book? I like “Go Dog Go”. How’d all those dogs get on that tree?
8. What’s your favorite movie? Shawshank Redemption cuz it reminds me never to give up when life doesn’t look so good.
9. What’s your favorite TV show? Amazing Race and my wife is really mad we can’t try out for it since I work for CBS. We’d totally win..or she would totally kill me during the race. It would make for some good T.V.
10. Who is your favorite band? I’m old school: Tom Petty, Earth Wind and Fire, Johnny Cash
11. What was your favorite concert? The Wiggles were pretty good but I’d say Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
12. What’s the one thing about you that would surprise us? I’m writing a Musical/Comedy, A Sitcom Pilot, and I can play the harmonica with my nose.
13. What’s your favorite past time? Is drinking wine by my pool a past-time? If not, then going to the ballpark and watching some baseball
14. If you could drive any car – what would it be? If a Smart Car really makes people smarter, then I’d hop into one of those. If not, then probably a classic Mustang.
15. Who’s the person you most admire? Christina Anderson for her ability to sit next to me 5 days a week and not strangle me.
16. What’s your favorite quote? “Life is too short, and so am I.”
17. What’s the one place you’d like to visit that you’ve never been to before? The Amalfi Coast in Italy
18. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited? Maui
19. What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever overheard someone say? That’s what she said.
20. Who’s your favorite actor/actress? Jessica Rabbit
21. What’s your favorite line of dialogue from a movie? Any scene in Goodfellas
22. What do you do for exercise? Lift weights, run with my dog, yoga, kayak, anything outdoors.
23. What food could you not live without? Pasta
24. What’s your favorite Northern California attraction? My wife! J
25. Where’s the strangest/farthest place you’ve been recognized? I was recognized by a CHP officer who pulled me over after mistakenly thinking I was speeding.
26. At what age did you decide you were interested in news? I was 4 and had to stop what I was doing to watch my brother on T.V. Los Angeles.
27. What’s the world’s biggest question that you’d like to find the answer to? Why is there an expiration date on Sour Cream?
Tony’s recent stories
- With Super Bowl Over, Ditching Alcohol Could Be Healthy Prelude To SpringAt the opposite end of boozing it up is something called dry January, what more and more people are doing leading up to the Super Bowl and after all that holiday cheer. They're not drinking alcohol for an entire month, or longer.
- Lucky Few Sacramento Businesses Get In On The Super Bowl ActionAs fans soaked in the flavor of Super Bowl 50, Andrew Blaskovich basked in the glory of his Gold Ticket moment.
- Former NFL Coach Dick Vermeil Finds Peace In Calistoga VineyardThe softness of the landscape stands in sharp contrast to the hard-nosed world he lived in as a successful head coach in college and the NFL.
- Sacramento Seeing Extra Traffic Thanks To Super Bowl 50That attention will come because San Francisco is jam-packed full and if people are looking for another place to stay that's close to stay that's close to that market they may very well look at Sacramento.
- Developer Threatens To Sue Sacramento Over Curtis Park Village Safeway Gas StationPaul Petrovich wants the city to authorize another vote on whether a Safeway fuel station should be allowed to move forward.
- Getting Answers Road Tour: ‘The Kay’ In Downtown SacramentoIt’s gone from eyesore to a sight for sore eyes, but for many it’s a it's tough to picture the transformation of the K Street Mall.
- Snowpack Driving Economy All The Way Down To The Sierra FoothillsThe heavy Sierra snowpack is giving the drought-stricken slice of the gold country in Auburn a nice shade of green. Money is finally falling into the parched hands of business owners just a short drive from the snow-covered mountains.
- Stockton, Modesto Rank Among Worst Places To Find A Job, But There’s HopeThere are more jobs compared to this time last year as Worknet officials say they’ve helped fill 6,000 new positions year to year.
- Self-Proclaimed ‘Butt Lady’ Bringing About Change In AuburnThey throw them down and she picks them up, by the tens of thousands. One woman roams the streets of Auburn trying to rid that city of discarded cigarettes.
- Getting Answers Road Tour: Sac State UniversityIt's finals week at Sacramento State University, but tonight the students are giving us an assignment: get some answers!
- Nearly A Year After His Fall, Roseville Man Known For His Christmas Display Walks AgainAs the lights came down last year, so did Rob Cooper. He fell off his roof on Jan. 3 while taking down the impressive display.
- CHP Helicopter Helps Guide Rescuers To Family Stranded In El Dorado County BackcountryThe CHP has released impressive video of a rescue in snowy El Dorado County. A helicopter helped save a man and his five children.
- Brothers Hope To Shine Light On Elk Grove’s Only Unsolved Homicide CaseWhat led up to the murders of Surinder Singh and his good friend Gurmej Atwal is still so baffling to so many.
- CBS13 Report On East Area Rapist Generates A Slew Of New Tips On CrimeSacramento County Sheriff’s investigators say they are getting a slew of new tips about the East Area Rapist after a CBS13 special report.
- The Secrets To Finding A Better Night’s SleepThe day is over and you’re ready to snooze, but your cellphone is ready to keep you up at night.
- FBI, Sacramento County Sheriff’s Investigators Continuing Effort To Find The Prolific And Deadly East Area RapistHe’s the original night stalker, targeting victims in the late 70s and ’80s. Unlike Richard Ramirez, he has yet to be found.
- How Can You Spot The Right Dog For You, And How Can You Get It To Obey?Whether you’re walking 30 dogs at once or one dog, the human needs to be in control. Sometimes that’s easier said than done.
- Field Of Dashed Dreams: How Sacramento Tried To Lure The Raiders And Athletics To TownLong before the Sacramento River Cats were a hit, developers swung for the fences where jackrabbits now roam on an expansive lot north of Sleep Train Arena.
- 20 Years Later, Refrigerator Lady’s Murder Still Baffles San Joaquin County InvestigatorsThey had a wide approximate age, between 29 and 41 years old, and they could tell she died from blunt force trauma to the head.
- What’s Going On With Highway 65, Vic’s Supermarket And Beerman’s Restaurant?It’s been three years since they cut the ribbon to welcome the new Highway 65 bypass in Placer County, and one CBS13 viewer wants an update on the original plan to expand the project.