Laura Skirde is the morning meteorologist and co-anchor for the CBS13 news from 5-7 AM. You can also catch her forecasts on Good Day Sacramento and the CBS13 news at Noon.
A fan of warm climates, Laura came to Sacramento in July of 2009, after forecasting everything from supercell thunderstorms to landfalling hurricanes in Austin, Texas. She began her career in weather and news at stations in Peoria, Illinois and Casper, Wyoming. Laura has a bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Colorado at Boulder, and received her meteorology certification from Mississippi State University. She is a member of the American Meteorological Society and has been awarded its Seal of Approval.
Laura was born in New York and grew up in Colorado. She’s an avid sports fan and when she’s not watching the skies, you’ll find her watching her beloved Denver Broncos and CU Buffs. Laura enjoys spending as much time outdoors as possible, especially golfing (well over par) and running the many beautiful trails the valley has to offer. She has completed the Austin, San Francisco and California International marathons, and hopes to train for more in the future.
Sparking an interest in science and meteorology among young people is something Laura is passionate about. Each week you’ll find her out at area schools, talking to students as part of her Weather School program. Students learn about Northern California weather, and have the opportunity to have their questions answered on the air each week on CBS13 in the morning and on CBS13.com.
Watch the latest Sacramento-area forecast.
Getting Answers: Laura Skirde
1) iPhone or Android? iPhone
2) What’s your favorite app? Quesadillas – just kidding! Shazam
3) What’s your favorite thing about working in news? There’s something new and exciting happening every day
4) What’s your favorite book? Love in the Time of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
5) What’s your favorite TV show? Right now, Mad Men and Downtown Abbey… always changes
6) Who is your favorite band? Muse, Metric, OK Go
7) What’s your favorite concert you’ve ever been to? Ringing in Y2K with Neil Diamond on 12/31/99 – oh yeah!
8) What’s the one thing about you that would surprise us? In college, I had my nose pierced
9) What’s your favorite quote? I have two: “It is never too late to be what you might have been.” Eliot “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
10) If you were stranded on a desert island, and had the chance to take just one item with you, what would it be? My Nook, with endless power supply and downloaded books
11) What do you do for exercise? Running – always outside! No treadmills
12) What food could you not live without? Being a vegetarian – black beans
13) What’s your favorite Northern California attraction? Wineries!
14) At what age did you decide you were interested in news? 3rd or 4th grade, and never looked back!