Fire Started By Oil-Soaked Rags Spreads To Carmichael Home

CARMICHAEL (CBS13) – A Carmichael home was damaged by fire this morning when oil-soaked rags caught fire.

The incident happened in the 3800 block of Mission Avenue. According to a Sac Metro Fire Department spokesperson, oil-soaked rags in a garbage can outside of the home caught fire and spread to the home, causing extensive damage.

The fire was trapped between a shake roof, coupled with a tile roof, and the attic.

Two people were inside the home at the time and were awakened by the smell of smoke. A fire spokesperson says smoke detectors were inside the home, but did not work. Residents escaped out of a bedroom window

One of the residents was treated on the scene by paramedics for unknown injuries. A firefighter was also treated for accidentally inhaling fiberglass insulation during the mop-up.

A fire department spokesperson says there is smoke and fire damage throughout the house.

The oil on the rags was linseed oil, which was being used in the painting of a nearby fence.

Comments

Comments are closed.

More From CBS Sacramento

Get Our App
Get The CBS Sacramento Weather AppGet the latest radar, CBS13 AppCasts and hour-by-hour forecasts. You can also send your weather pics.
Follow Us On Facebook

Watch & Listen LIVE