Award-winning journalist Shirin Rajaee is proud to be joining the CBS family. Shirin started with KOVR in October 2015 and anchors the weekend newscasts at 5 and 10pm and reports on weeknights.
Raised in the Los Angeles area, Shirin has family in Northern California and is happy to call Sacramento her new home. “This is an exciting opportunity, living in our state capital and working with such a terrific news team at CBS13. This was simply the perfect fit.”
Before coming to KOVR, Shirin worked for ABC’s KEYT in Santa Barbara and KKFX’s Central Coast News in Santa Maria as the morning news anchor and reporter. She recently won a Golden Mike Award for Best News Reporting. Shirin’s covered a range of stories that include the Isla Vista mass shootings in 2014, the Santa Barbara Oil spill, and election coverage. Her stories have aired on shows such as America this Morning and CNN.
Shirin got her start in news working in production for CNN’s Los Angeles Bureau from 2008-2011. She also anchored an entertainment show for PBC (Persian Broadcasting Company) serving Los Angeles and international audiences.
Shirin is a University of California Los Angeles graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Communications. She furthered her studies through UCLA’s Journalism extension program.
In her free time, she loves to travel and spend time with family and friends. She’s very close with her parents and her younger brother, Sean, who is an Orthopedic Surgery resident in LA. She’s also a foodie, and you’ll probably see her trying new restaurants in town. Anything with live music, and she’s in! Fun fact: Shirin won the local Dancing with the Stars Competition in Santa Barbara in March of 2015 with her high scoring Cha-Cha performance!
Being in the community is important to Shirin. Her way of giving back is dedicating her time to organizations she’s passionate about. She’s been a master of ceremonies for a number of groups including the American Heart Association, the Dream Foundation, Pars Equality, Teddy Bear Cancer Found, The Santa Barbara International Film Festival, The Iranian American Women’s Leadership Foundation. And she now hopes to work with organizations in the Sacramento area.
Shirin’s looking forward to new adventures and can’t wait to start exploring and meeting the community!
Shirin’s recent stories
- Solano Community Colleges Evacuated Over Bomb ThreatAll three college campuses in Fairfield, Vacaville, and Vallejo were evacuated Monday afternoon after two anonymous bomb threats.
- Baby Box Program Gives Parents A Safe Place For Infants To SleepThe creators of the Baby Box Company say these cardboard boxes serve as a safe sleep space for babies, a need that's often ignored.
- Mother, Son Killed After Snow Falls Off Roof And Buries Them In ‘Freak Accident’The accident happened Sunday at Kirkwood Ski Resort, making this the 3rd and 4th death since a major snowstorm hit the region last week.
- Sacramento Remembers Tower Records Founder Russ SolomonSACRAMENTO (CBS13) — He was a music industry icon and the creator of one of the largest record stores in the world. Russ Solomon founded Tower Records in Sacramento in the 1960s which grew into an empire of music stores across the globe. According to family, Solomon passed away in his home Sunday night at […]
- Cal OES Has Eye On Approaching StormWith flood-prone areas and burn scars top of mind, the office of emergency services is monitoring weather conditions around the clock.
- Sheriff Working With Congregations On Active-Shooter TrainingThe agency is equipping the faith community with tools to protect against potential active shooters.
- Foresthill Fire Station Closure Could Be Just The BeginningAlready stretched thin, the rural and high fire danger community is facing a crisis in funding and retaining firefighters.
- Since October, Apple Has Made Around 1,600 False Alarm 911 Calls From Elk Grove FacilityEmergency dispatchers in Elk Grove and Sacramento County are seeing an influx of false alarm 911 calls flooding their emergency communication centers. And the calls are originating from Apple.
- Farmers Watering With Warmer Groundwater To Keep Crops From FreezingWith overnight low temperatures expected to dip below freezing Monday night, many farmers are concerned that frost could damage their crops.
- Butt Lady Of Auburn Grabs 1 Millionth Butt On Valentine’s DaySally Dawley has made it her mission to clean up her city by picking up cigarette butts, and on Wednesday she hit a major milestone.
- Mystery Surrounds Missing Toronto Firefighter Found In SacramentoAfter a massive six-day search, a skier who went missing in New York has now been found safe nearly 3,000 miles away in Sacramento.
- Missing Marysville Man Found Alive After 36 Hours In Remote AreaMissing for about 36 hours, an elderly man with dementia was found alive after falling 20 feet down an embankment.
- New Angels Camp Leader Is Nation’s First Female Deaf MayorShe's being recognized as not only the youngest member of the city council but the first female deaf mayor in American history.
- Sacramento Police Searching For Robbers Who Hit Pair Of Pizza JointsPolice released pictures on Tuesday of the suspects in the Mountain Mike's and Round Table Pizza robberies as seen on surveillance video.
- PSAT Scores Tossed After Students Given Wrong TestHundreds of PSAT tests taken by students at Granite Bay High School are being deemed invalid after an oversight by school administrators.
- Agencies Across The Country Sending Patches To Boy With DiGeorge SyndromeRobert Romero Martinez always wanted to be a police officer - and now with the help of Facebook, hundreds of officers are stepping up to help him reach his dreams.
- Sacramento Removed Crosswalk Where Hit-And-Run Injured Woman, ChildPolice say that driver, a 22-year-old man, first fled the scene but has since turned himself in and is in police custody.
- Family Hopes Baby Tooth Banking Will Help Cure Teen’s DiabetesA Citrus Heights family is clinging to hope, desperate to find a cure for their son Austin's type-1 diabetes.
- Sacramento Seeing Success As Golden 1 Center Attracts Big Music ActsBruno Mars, Jay Z, Lady Gaga, Kendrick Lamar are just some of the A-listers nominated at this year's Grammys who just months ago performed in Sacramento.
- Police Searching For Armed 11-Year-Old Gas Station RobberThe incident took place Monday at a Stockton ARCO gas station off Interstate 5, and it was all caught on camera.