Lawsuit: Prison Officials Could Have Stopped ‘Assassination’ Of San Quentin 6 Member

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – A federal lawsuit claims California officials could have stopped what it says was the “assassination” of a notorious California inmate days after he was released into the general prison population last year.

The wrongful death lawsuit says prison officials should have known that 71-year-old Hugo Pinell would be quickly targeted at a maximum security prison east of Sacramento. He previously spent decades in isolation.

Pinell’s daughter recently filed the suit. It claims, without providing evidence, that correctional officials bet among themselves on how long the Pinell would survive.

He was known as one of the San Quentin 6 for participating in a bloody 1971 escape attempt at San Quentin State Prison that left six dead.

Corrections department spokeswoman Terry Thornton said Thursday that she can’t comment on the lawsuit.


Copyright 2016 The Associated Press.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Sacramento

Get Our App
Get The CBS Sacramento Weather AppGet the latest radar, CBS13 AppCasts and hour-by-hour forecasts. You can also send your weather pics.

Listen Live