Sacramento Refuses Release Of More Footage In Fatal Shooting

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — City officials are refusing to release additional video footage in the shooting death of a homeless man in Sacramento this summer.

The Sacramento Police Department previously distributed portions of dash-cam video showing the moments before two officers shot 50-year-old Joseph Mann on July 11.

With enhanced audio, the officers are heard swearing at Mann and saying “I’m gonna hit him” and “OK, go for it” before driving their cruiser at him. They followed on foot and shot him 14 times.

The city on Friday denied a public records request filed by The Associated Press seeking the full, unedited video, citing ongoing investigations.

The officers’ attorney, Judith Odbert, says at least one portion of the released exchange has been taken out of context. She says the officers were protecting the public.


Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Sacramento

Get Our App
Get The CBS Sacramento Weather AppGet the latest radar, CBS13 AppCasts and hour-by-hour forecasts. You can also send your weather pics.

Listen Live