Man Linked To Gas Station Nacho Cheese Botulism Outbreak Dies

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – One of at least 10 people apparently sickened by nacho-cheese dip sold at a California gas station has died, health officials said Monday.

The San Francisco County coroner’s office identified the victim as Martin Galindo-Larios Jr., 37. An online fundraising page that claimed to have been set up by his family said he was married and the father of two small children.

Authorities declined to release other information on his death, including when it occurred. Family members did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.

California health officials say the illnesses appear caused by botulism carried in nacho-cheese dip sold at a gas station in the Sacramento suburb of Walnut Grove.

In a statement, the California Department of Public Health said the container and cheese dip were removed May 5, and authorities believe the contamination poses no further risk to the public.

Botulism, a kind of food poisoning, can lead to paralysis, breathing difficulty and sometimes death.

Authorities said Friday that all 10 people sickened were hospitalized. Spokesmen with the state health agency said they had no immediate updates on the conditions of the nine surviving victims.

 

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS13 | CBS Sacramento

Get Our App
Get The CBS Sacramento Weather AppGet the latest radar, CBS13 AppCasts and hour-by-hour forecasts. You can also send your weather pics.

Watch & Listen LIVE