Davis Imam Apologizes After Fiery Sermon Draws Global Condemnation

DAVIS (CBS13) — “To the Jewish community here in Davis and beyond, I say this deeply—I am deeply sorry for the pain I have caused,” said Ammar Shahin.

It was a heartfelt apology from the Davis Imam who broke the hearts of people in the Jewish and Muslim communities.

Last week, Shahin gave a fiery sermon that translators say called for his higher power to annihilate Jews, and asked his congregants to take part in the slaughter.

He initially, said he was taken out of context, a point he repeated, a day later in an on camera interview with CBS13.

But that changed on Friday.

“I let my emotions get the best of me and cloud my better judgment. I said things that were hurtful to Jews. This was unacceptable,” he said.

“I deeply appreciate and accept your words of apology thank you,” a local Rabbi told him.

The olive branch didn’t come easy. Local political and Jewish leaders joined the Council on American Islamic Relations, condemning the speech.

“Ugly words were spoken,” said Yolo County Supervisor Don Sailor.

“No matter what the context was, it came out as hate speech,” said CAIR Director Basim Elkarra.

It sparked fury across the globe. Outside of Davis, Jewish groups are asking the Department of Homeland Security and the US Attorney’s Office for a full investigation. Others want the Islamic Center of Davis to fire Shahin.

“I don’t think everybody will accept what happened today, but I’m hoping everybody can understand what our purpose is- to move forward,” Executive Director of the Jewish Federation Willie Recht.

Members of the Jewish and Muslim communities met for four hours behind closed doors. Bruce Pomer was there.

“[Why did the Imam say what he said?] It’s complex… issues related to world affairs,” said Pomer.

Davis is no stranger to religious controversy. UC Davis has been named one of the top most Anti-Semitic campuses in America. From a Jewish fraternity tagged with swastikas to a student-led effort to force UC regents to divest from Israel.

The Islamic Center of Davis has dealt with hate too. Recently, a woman pleaded guilty to breaking windows and wrapping bacon around the handles of Mosque. Also, torn pages of the Quran were thrown from a car in June during a Ramadan prayer.

More from Lemor Abrams
Comments

1. This Imam “let his emotions get the better of him”. He said what he really was feeling but should have kept quite about. The lesson he learned is that when you feel the need to slander Jews and implore your god to slaughter them, don’t do it when you’re being recorded. Every Jew hating Islamist who kills Jews and then shouts Allahu Akbar is simply letting his emotions get the better of him. So sorry I said what I was really feeling and sincerely hope Allah does to all Jews.

2. Charlie Doe says:

“I’m sorry…..that I got caught…”

3. Keith Diggs says:

Hey CBS, did your ILLUMINATI SATAN MASTERS tell you to describe their favorite son’s “apology” as “HEART FELT”??????

4. Grizz Mann says:

I am sorry for my comments. Let me be clear, I did not mean harm to Jews alone. All infidels, Christians, homosexuals or any enemy of Islam. Allahu Akbar. The holey koran commands me. Haven’t any of you read the holey koran, yet?

5. Bill Lewis says:

He preached this to his congregation then they preach it to their kids etc. See the problem here.

6. mclowe says:

It’s not good enough. You need to go back to Izbrapistan or wherever the he!l you came from.

7. mclowe says:

Oh, and you look like a complete id!ot in that hat with that beard.

8. Islam allows him to lie to the infidels to further its cause.

9. Jack Cooper says:

Apologize in the same language you spoke the hate filled speech was spoken then and only then should this be considered an apology. Muslims have no problem lying to infidels and when issuing fatwas only issue in their language not English, same goes for apologies.

10. This Imam is as sorry as the three muslim boys in Twin Falls,Idaho who sexually molested
    and then urinated on a white five year old girl as they took turns filming it. They obey the quran.

11. Taqiyya – the Muslim doctrine of lying to protect oneself and Islam.

12. Can you say “Taqiyya” ?

13. irishsavant says:

What he said is not something you can retract. He said what he believed and his “regret” just reflects that he was caught out and now faces consequences.

14. Asian countries for Asians.

Black countries for Blacks.

but White countries for everybody?

That’s genocide.

Anti-racist is a codeword for Anti-White

15. “It was a heartfelt apology from the Davis imam…”

No it wasn’t. The only way that hate like that flows from you is that the hate is close to your heart. That’s what is truly heartfelt to him.

16. He clearly spoke what he believes deep in his heart, mind and soul. With that being said, his apology was only lip service as he still truly believes what he said. Besides, the Islam “religion” permits lying to the “infidels” to protect and defend Islam and it’s interests. It’s called ‘Al Taqiyya”.

Muslims lie when it is in their interest to do so and “Allah” will not hold them accountable for lying when it is beneficial to the cause of Islam. They can lie without any guilt or fear of accountability or retribution. A lie in the defense of Islam is approved even applauded in their “holy” books.

With that in mind, to Muslims, it’s perfectly fine to lie about their intentions and interests to us because to them, we are the enemy.