SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The Rev. Al Sharpton says he plans to attend Thursday’s funeral for an unarmed black man shot to death by Sacramento police officers who say they thought he was holding a gun that turned out to be a cellphone.

The civil rights advocate said on his MSNBC program Sunday that he’s been concerned by the March 18 shooting of Stephon Clark and doesn’t believe it’s gotten the media attention it deserves.

Clark, 22, was standing with the phone in his grandmother’s backyard when he was shot 20 times.

Officers responding to a report of someone breaking car windows say they chased a suspect into the yard.

The shooting has roiled California’s capital city, leading to a protest last week that shut down a freeway.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s