Health Topic Center
Title CBS Sacramento Health News
- Health Insurance Sign-Ups Coming To Shopping Malls The Obama administration will promote health insurance coverage at shopping malls starting on Black Friday and continuing through the busiest shopping days of the holiday season, officials announced Wednesday. They said more than 462,000 people...
- Bono, Affleck Stay Silent in PSA on Ebola Response Celebrities are playing the waiting game in a new online campaign calling for a unified response to the Ebola epidemic in West Africa.
- Surgeon With Ebola Dies In Nebraska A surgeon who contracted Ebola in his native Sierra Leone died Monday while being treated in a biocontainment unit at a Nebraska hospital, the facility said.
- California Sets Target Of 1.7 Million People Signed Up For Covered California After initial missteps caused a choppy start, California health care officials are betting that an upgraded website, more help and better Spanish-language outreach will result in a smoother and bigger second open enrollment season under the...
- Thousands Of Northern California Nurses Go On Strike As many as 18,000 nurses have walked off the job and are picketing in front of Northern California Kaiser Permanente facilities.
- Doctors Warn Sitting Disease Could Become The New Smoking But that efficiency can be deadly. For years, health experts have been warning about sitting disease, where sitting for long periods of time glue to your office seat, car seat, or in front of the TV could be hazardous.
- California Orders Risk-Based Ebola Quarantine California is requiring a 21-day quarantine for people traveling from Ebola-stricken areas who have had contact with infected patients.
- Google Working On Pill That Could Detect Cancer Cells Still in the experimental stage, the pill is packed with tiny magnetic particles, which can travel through a patient's bloodstream, search for malignant cells and report their findings to a sensor on a wearable device.
- Thousands Will Die From Flu This Year, Doctors Predict Although concerns are mounting across the nation of Ebola exposure, doctors fear the focus could be diverting attention from another potential threat: the flu.
- Pres. Obama Authorizes National Guard, Reserve Call-up For Ebola In West Africa President Barack Obama is authorizing the Pentagon to call up reserve and National Guard troops if they are needed to assist in the U.S. response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
- Expert: People Are Much More Likely To Die From The Flu Rather Than Ebola He points out the kind of equipment medical professionals need working directly with Ebola patients is not the same as what is being offered online and not necessary for the public to own.
- Construction Workers Doused With Pesticide From Helicopter On Sutter County Levee Nearly a dozen construction workers were sprayed with pesticide from a helicopter in Sutter County, sending some of them to the hospital with chemical pneumonia.
- Sacramento State Biomedical Team's Breakthrough Could Change The Way You Heal The device is called an autologous thrombin device, and it uses the patients’ own plasma to create a seal so wounds are less likely to get infected.
- What Has The Affordable Care Act Accomplished A Year Later? With almost a year under its belt, has the Affordable Care Act impact as many people as it originally set out to?
- Enterovirus D68: What Every Parent Should Know Parents should be prepared for a new virus that is infecting the Midwest and looking to sweep the nation.