Mojgan Sherkat joined the CBS13 news team in May of 2014. Originally from southern California, she’s excited to be back in The Golden State after spending two years in the Midwest.
Before coming to Sacramento, Mojgan was working at WTOL-TV in Toledo, Ohio where she extensively covered the murder of an 18-month-old girl, and two Toledo firefighters who were killed by arson.Email Mojgan
Mojgan also spent a year in Syracuse, NY where she received her Master’s of Science from The S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications in Broadcast and Digital Journalism. And prior to that, she earned a B.A. in Communication Studies at the University of California, Riverside where she spent a semester abroad in Siena, Italy. Mojgan also published an article with The Huffington Post about the depiction of Persian culture in “Prince of Persia: Sands of Time”. Her interests include traveling, being outdoors, working out, cooking and baking, reading, watching films, and spending time with family and friends.
Getting Answers with Mojgan Sherkat
1) How long have you lived in Northern California? Just celebrated one month!
2) Where are you from originally? Downey, CA
3) Do you have any siblings? An older brother
4) Do you have any pets? No
5) iPhone or Android? Android
6) What’s your favorite app? Instagram
7) What’s your favorite thing about working in news? Meeting new people everyday!
8) What’s your favorite book? Ever? This is a tough one, but I’d say The Alchemist.
9) What’s your favorite movie? Another difficult question, I love to laugh, so any good comedy.
10) What’s your favorite TV show? Breaking Bad, How I Met Your Mother, Seinfield
11) Who is your favorite band? There are too many…a few are Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers, Florence and the Machine.
12) What’s your favorite concert you’ve ever been to? Little Big Town
13) What’s the one thing about you that would surprise us? I’ve traveled to Iran, most of my family is still there.
14) What’s your favorite past time? Cooking, baking and working out
15) If you could drive any car what would it be? Range Rover
16) Who’s the person you most admire? My parents – they are the most selfless people I know!
17) What’s your favorite quote? “
I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel,” Maya Angelou
18) What’s the one place you’d like to visit that you’ve never been to before? Thailand
19) What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited? I can narrow it down to a few, but I can’t choose just one. Paris, Florence, and Berlin.
20) Who’s your favorite actor/actress? Joseph Gordon-Levitt
21) What do you do for exercise? Kickbox, yoga, barre fit
22) What’s your favorite area restaurant? I haven’t gone too many yet, but for now I’d say One Speed, Zocalo, and The Press Box
23) What food could you not live without? Any dessert – I LOVE sweets!
24) What’s your favorite Northern California attraction? Yosemite
25) At what age did you decide you were interested in news? Late college
The American River Parkway is seeing an uptick in fires this year, and now Sacramento County leaders are cracking down on fire pits.
It’s nothing but a dry piece of land along Big Horn Boulevard and Civic Center Drive in Elk Grove, but it could be get a nice soak of water after the Elk Grove Planning Commission approved part of a plan to build the complex.
The district spent $2 million on 31 new special education buses that have since sat idle. The district believed if they stopped contracting out the job, it could save nearly $700,000 a year. But now they’re questioning that decision.
Lodi Stadium 12 Cinemas posted signs on door their doors Sunday, saying they are closed for the day as they do a thorough inspection.
San Jose State researcher Paul Clerkin spent two months on a commercial fishing vessel in the southern part of the Indian Ocean. It’s an environment where researchers don’t spend a lot of time.
Shawna Palmer told doctors her fractured toe kept her from working, or even wearing shoes as a grocery store clerk. But a YouTube video shows it didn’t keep her from competing in high heels.
Lisa Young was upgraded from critical to serious condition on Monday after the Saturday crash at a track that’s been part of her life for years.
A local race car driver is in critical condition after crashing her car at the All American Speedway Saturday.
Mayor Kevin Johnson made sure to show at this Sacramento Republic FC home game.
The burglaries along Sierra College and Douglas boulevards have business owners like Diane Holland on guard.
A 6-month-old baby was killed and his mother was stabbed by a family member who was shot to death by police at a Folsom home on Thursday.
Homemade hash oil is becoming a growing concern as the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office says it’s already prosecuted more than a dozen cases this year.