Mojgan Sherkat joined the CBS13 news team in May of 2014. Originally from southern California, she’s excited to be back in The Golden State after spending two years in the Midwest.
Before coming to Sacramento, Mojgan was working at WTOL-TV in Toledo, Ohio where she extensively covered the murder of an 18-month-old girl, and two Toledo firefighters who were killed by arson.Email Mojgan
Mojgan also spent a year in Syracuse, NY where she received her Master’s of Science from The S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications in Broadcast and Digital Journalism. And prior to that, she earned a B.A. in Communication Studies at the University of California, Riverside where she spent a semester abroad in Siena, Italy. Mojgan also published an article with The Huffington Post about the depiction of Persian culture in “Prince of Persia: Sands of Time”. Her interests include traveling, being outdoors, working out, cooking and baking, reading, watching films, and spending time with family and friends.
Getting Answers with Mojgan Sherkat
1) How long have you lived in Northern California? Just celebrated one month!
2) Where are you from originally? Downey, CA
3) Do you have any siblings? An older brother
4) Do you have any pets? No
5) iPhone or Android? Android
6) What’s your favorite app? Instagram
7) What’s your favorite thing about working in news? Meeting new people everyday!
8) What’s your favorite book? Ever? This is a tough one, but I’d say The Alchemist.
9) What’s your favorite movie? Another difficult question, I love to laugh, so any good comedy.
10) What’s your favorite TV show? Breaking Bad, How I Met Your Mother, Seinfield
11) Who is your favorite band? There are too many…a few are Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers, Florence and the Machine.
12) What’s your favorite concert you’ve ever been to? Little Big Town
13) What’s the one thing about you that would surprise us? I’ve traveled to Iran, most of my family is still there.
14) What’s your favorite past time? Cooking, baking and working out
15) If you could drive any car what would it be? Range Rover
16) Who’s the person you most admire? My parents – they are the most selfless people I know!
17) What’s your favorite quote? ”
I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel,” Maya Angelou
18) What’s the one place you’d like to visit that you’ve never been to before? Thailand
19) What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited? I can narrow it down to a few, but I can’t choose just one. Paris, Florence, and Berlin.
20) Who’s your favorite actor/actress? Joseph Gordon-Levitt
21) What do you do for exercise? Kickbox, yoga, barre fit
22) What’s your favorite area restaurant? I haven’t gone too many yet, but for now I’d say One Speed, Zocalo, and The Press Box
23) What food could you not live without? Any dessert – I LOVE sweets!
24) What’s your favorite Northern California attraction? Yosemite
25) At what age did you decide you were interested in news? Late college
The Bureau of Reclamation announced on Friday that agricultural customers should expect zero percent of their contracted water, based on current reservoir storage and snowpack. The zero-percent allocation will be reevaluated on a monthly basis.
Organizers say Summer Night Lights keeps kids busy with positive activities like basketball during the summer, so they’re not out committing crimes instead.
UC Davis health professionals can’t say much about the student, but say they don’t live on campus and they don’t seem to have roommates—two things that will help track and contain the disease.
Excited fans filed into Bonney Field – a sold-out crowd and a new attendance record set on Saturday’s preseason home opener.
A private engineering company surveyed current road conditions in the city, and the results are close to failing. The pavement condition index rating come back as a 67, which is a D.
According to neighbors, the victim and suspect knew each other very well. They were always friendly with one another, so it comes as a complete shock to them something like this would happen.
Police dressed in SWAT gear and teams of K-9s scoured the tiny town of Isleton in darkness searching for a man who allegedly shot his 70-year-old neighbor inside his own home.
It’s their first Valentine’s Day together as a married couple, but their journeys to this moment weren’t easy. It took homelessness to find love.
It’s not the first time Heald has been in the middle of a controversy. There have been lawsuits, the U.S. Department of Education has limited federal money, and if the school fails to turn in documents proving its stability, the grants may be permanently suspended.
The district calls the move a precautionary measure now that all four Stockton high schools are in the same California Interscholastic Federation league. And parents at a basketball game on Tuesday said it was a great idea.
It was a cold, stormy weekend in Sacramento – the type of weather the region hasn’t often seen in the past few years.
An hour long car chase came to a violent end in Sacramento Saturday afternoon.