Sam Shane graduated from the University of Minnesota with a B.A. in journalism. He’s spent more than 20 years traveling across the country working for TV stations and covering major news events. He started in Duluth, Minn., and later in his career he worked at KCRA-TV in Sacramento, KGO-TV in San Francisco, at the Fox affiliate in Seattle and as an anchor at MSNBC.
Sam has covered major stories like the L.A. riots, the Oklahoma City bombing, and the capture of the Unabomber. He’s interviewed a variety of political figures and leaders including a president and a number of U.S. senators. In addition to reporting international, national and local news stories throughout his career, he also written and produced an award-winning investigative series on the failures of government officials during the 1997 floods in Northern California.
Sam has also written a children’s book called “Rocky The Mudhen.”
Sam is married and is the father of two kids – a boy and a girl. In his spare time, Sam enjoys golfing, skiing, reading, writing and cooking.
Asking Questions: Sam Shane
1) How long have you lived in Northern California? 18 years
2) Where are you from originally? I grew up in Hastings, Minnesota and graduated college from the University of Minnesota
3) Do you have any siblings? One brother and one sister
4) Do you have any pets? A dog named Fenway and a cat named Moxie
5) iPhone or Android? Android
6) What’s your favorite app? A variety of news apps
8) What’s your favorite thing about working in news? It’s topical, interesting and constantly evolving
9) What’s your favorite past time? Golf, baseball & working in the yard
10) Who’s the person you most admire? A leader who is not afraid to do what’s right, a humble hero and those who work long days and nights to pay the bills and support their families
11) What’s the one place you’d like to visit that you’ve never been to before? Europe
12) What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited? Hawaii & Carmel
13) If you were stranded on a desert island, and had the chance to take just one item with you, what would it be? A saw to cut down trees for fuel, to make tools and build housing.
14) What’s your favorite line of dialogue from a movie? “There’s no crying in baseball!” & “You can’t handle the truth!”
15) What do you do for exercise? Boot Camp, bike, walk & golf
16) What food could you not live without? Fresh food
17) What’s your favorite Northern California attraction? Ocean, NapaValley, PebbleBeach & Lake Tahoe
18) Where’s the strangest/farthest place you’ve been recognized? In an airport in the heart of the Midwest
19) At what age did you decide you were interested in news? Somewhere around the age of 10 I became very interested in newspapers, TV news and journalism
18) What’s the world’s biggest question that you’d like to find the answer to? Can we, will we, achieve peace on earth?
The face of UC Davis and the other UC campuses is rapidly changing as university administrators aggressively recruit foreign students to attend college in California. They tout diversity, but there’s also an economic impact.
In the fight for energy independence, there’s a big battle over ethanol, with California taking center stage -– and billions of dollars at stake.
The director of California’s youth prisons says her department is making improvements but critics and former inmates paint a different picture.
Like most of us, U.S. Attorney Benjamin Wagner will never forget what he was doing that morning when two planes crashed into the World Trade Center in New York.
Most California cities are spending way more than they can afford on pensions, and the growing financial burden is already breaking the bank in four cities.
A Chevy Chase, Md. woman considers her toy poodle more like a child than a pet, so when he got very sick last Monday, all Cynthia Painter could do was cry and hope doctors could [...]
- News Photos Namaste: Yoga Poses For... 2013 Draft Lottery Party Baseball Shots Of The Week –...
- Board Of Governors Vote Party... Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows Flash Forward: Concept Cars...
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Best Summer Festivals and... Sacramento's Most Wanted Baseball Shots Of The Week –...
- Best Mexican Cuisine Celebrities With Asthma Baseball Shots Of The Week –... New Kings Arena Renderings
- Text 13NEWS to 84816 to sign up for breaking news text alerts.
- Click here to sign up for breaking news email alerts