Tony comes to Sacramento from the CBS station in Denver, Colorado, where he was weekend anchor and reporter. Tony spent eight years in Texas where he worked for the Fox affiliate in Austin and ABC-TV in San Antonio.
Coming to Sacramento means “coming home” for Tony and his family. Fifteen years ago (we know, he doesn’t look that old) Tony was a reporter for Channel 31. He met his beautiful wife in the Capital City and together with their son, they are elated to be back in California.
Tony is the youngest of eight children and was born in Southern California. Any spare time he gets, he uses it spending time with his family.
He looks forward to being a part of the CBS13 news team for years to come.
Getting Answers with Tony Lopez
1. How long have you lived in Northern California? This is my second stint in Nor Cal. I was here in the early 90’s and now, for the last 7 + years. So, combined..close to a decade.
2. Where are you from originally? I’m pretty sure my Mother gave birth to me about 47 years ago in the Los Angeles area.
3. Do you have any siblings? I have more siblings than Morgan Freeman has freckles. Okay, not really, but I’m the youngest of 8!
4. iPhone or Android? I have an I-Phone.
5. What’s your favorite app? Probably my Major League Baseball App so I can watch games and highlights when I’m supposed to be reading the news on set.
6. What’s your favorite thing about working in news? I’ve always wanted to wear make-up everyday and this gives me the chance to do that and not feel really weird about it. Seriously, the job is something different everyday. It’s never boring.
7. What’s your favorite book? I like “Go Dog Go”. How’d all those dogs get on that tree?
8. What’s your favorite movie? Shawshank Redemption cuz it reminds me never to give up when life doesn’t look so good.
9. What’s your favorite TV show? Amazing Race and my wife is really mad we can’t try out for it since I work for CBS. We’d totally win..or she would totally kill me during the race. It would make for some good T.V.
10. Who is your favorite band? I’m old school: Tom Petty, Earth Wind and Fire, Johnny Cash
11. What was your favorite concert? The Wiggles were pretty good but I’d say Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
12. What’s the one thing about you that would surprise us? I’m writing a Musical/Comedy, A Sitcom Pilot, and I can play the harmonica with my nose.
13. What’s your favorite past time? Is drinking wine by my pool a past-time? If not, then going to the ballpark and watching some baseball
14. If you could drive any car – what would it be? If a Smart Car really makes people smarter, then I’d hop into one of those. If not, then probably a classic Mustang.
15. Who’s the person you most admire? Christina Anderson for her ability to sit next to me 5 days a week and not strangle me.
16. What’s your favorite quote? “Life is too short, and so am I.”
17. What’s the one place you’d like to visit that you’ve never been to before? The Amalfi Coast in Italy
18. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited? Maui
19. What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever overheard someone say? That’s what she said.
20. Who’s your favorite actor/actress? Jessica Rabbit
21. What’s your favorite line of dialogue from a movie? Any scene in Goodfellas
22. What do you do for exercise? Lift weights, run with my dog, yoga, kayak, anything outdoors.
23. What food could you not live without? Pasta
24. What’s your favorite Northern California attraction? My wife! J
25. Where’s the strangest/farthest place you’ve been recognized? I was recognized by a CHP officer who pulled me over after mistakenly thinking I was speeding.
26. At what age did you decide you were interested in news? I was 4 and had to stop what I was doing to watch my brother on T.V. Los Angeles.
27. What’s the world’s biggest question that you’d like to find the answer to? Why is there an expiration date on Sour Cream?
According to the Humane Society, California ranks No. 1 when it comes to protecting animals with legislation, and animal lovers want to keep it that way.
The work will be done on nights and weekends starting on June 7. Crews will repair and replace the bridge decks, ramps and connectors on a portion of Interstate 5 between L Street and Richards Boulevard, and the Pioneer Bridge area of Highway 50 between Jefferson Boulevard and Third Streets.
From hamster to horse, canary to cat, python to pooch, you will soon be able to come to the Sacramento SPCA and visit your beloved pet any time after they depart in friendship.
The rumor was based on an anonymous Instagram post discovered in April referring to the school.
Four days after the accident, the family thanked their heroes, the Sac Metro Fire crew who gave them back the gift of life after first giving them something else.
That infection is a neurological disease called equine protozoal myeloencephalitis, or EPM. It can turn a powerful race horse into a stumbling, weak, uncoordinated animal.
Billie, 8, and Baretta, 19, are cousins of California Chrome—who has already won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes—complete with white socks and a blaze. The marking is known as a chrome in the the horse world.
It’s as clear as the glasses one man was being fitted for—Memorial Day is also a day to honor and take care of military veterans still with us, who sometimes feel ignored.
It all started at the Sacramento Greyhound station where a young man approached Enaytayullah Hoseny and said, “Take me to Arden Fair mall.” But once he got inside the taxi, that’s when things got interesting.
From fancy drinks to bizarre burgers, there are close to two-dozen restaurants and fast-food places that have items you can order that aren’t on the menu.
It’s a campus-wide call-out to help track down a racist vandal. UC Davis police say a prominent professor was the target of a hate crime.
Ellen Jackson breeds and trains horses at Victory Rose Thoroughbreds in Vacaville. Her horses tested the strips in a 2004 UC Davis study, which found they cut down on lung bleeding—a problem among racehorses.