When Billy Cundiff was released this week, the 49ers made it clear that they have confidence in David Akers to makes kicks for the rest of the playoffs. Or it could be that they have less confidence in Cundiff. Either way, the team did the right thing by letting go of Cundiff prior to the team’s flight to Atlanta, letting Akers relax and focus on the game and not about being replaced.
One of the major concerns for the 49ers as they prepare to take on the Green Bay Packers Saturday is the kicking game. For a team that has such a sound defense, three points can go a long way, and more times then not playoff games are decided by a last second field goal. As David Akers has regressed this season, the team signed Billy Cundiff to evaluate the teams kicking options, yet with the game less then a week away there has still been no decision made. This in camp battle doesn’t figure to have a winner declared until right before the game, but with no clear favorite, the best option for the team is to deactivate Akers and go with the new guy.
Wednesday on The Jason Ross Show we talk about Ray Lewis announcing his retirement. Was his announcement perfect timing or too soon? Also, what athletes should’ve called it quits sooner in their career? Four time […]
David Akers wrapped up a regular season that he would like to forget. Unfortunately, with the playoffs around the corner and a team that needs contributions from all phases, the team can’t forget. The result is that with time to prepare for their eventual playoff game, San Francisco is working out kickers to make sure that specials teams is not again the downfall of this team in the postseason.
- Most Romantic US Honeymoon... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Unique Sunglasses For Summer Autos Quiz: Name That Car Logo
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Father's Day Gift Ideas Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Long Live The Kings Rally
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... News Photos Namaste: Yoga Poses For... 2013 Draft Lottery Party
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Board Of Governors Vote Party... Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows
- Text 13NEWS to 84816 to sign up for breaking news text alerts.
- Click here to sign up for breaking news email alerts