Pelican Bay prisoners remain on lockdown after a riot broke out over the weekend, involving 63 inmates and injuring three.
Tsunami cleanup operations are winding down at Crescent City after crews raised the last sunken over the weekend.
California emergency officials say they hope to complete a tsunami damage estimate as early as next week to submit to the federal government in an aid request for wave-battered harbors.
A California official estimates that statewide damage from last week’s tsunami exceeds $40 million.
Since the tidal gauge was installed in the boat basin in 1934, this small port on California’s rugged northern coast has been hit by 34 tsunamis, large and small.
Fishermen who had escaped to sea before the tsunami hit this struggling coastal town landed small loads of crab on Saturday, while crews surveyed damage and a family combed the beach for any sign of a man who was swept away a day ago as he photographed the waves.
A tsunami swept at least five people watching the waves out to sea Friday and ripped docks out of harbors in California, spreading the destruction of a devastating Japanese earthquake to the shores of the United States.
Tsunami waves swamped Hawaii beaches and brushed the U.S. western coast Friday but didn’t immediately cause major damage after devastating Japan and sparking evacuations throughout the Pacific.
- Your Memorial Day Tributes News Photos Namaste: Yoga Poses For... 2013 Draft Lottery Party
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Board Of Governors Vote Party... Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows
- Flash Forward: Concept Cars... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Best Summer Festivals and... Sacramento's Most Wanted
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Best Mexican Cuisine Celebrities With Asthma Baseball Shots Of The Week –...
- Text 13NEWS to 84816 to sign up for breaking news text alerts.
- Click here to sign up for breaking news email alerts