By Ron Jones

LIVE OAK, Calif. (CBS13) — A young boy was tied up after a pair of home invasion suspects found him while he was playing video games, authorities said.

Sutter County investigators said the parents of the 12-year-old victim were Christmas shopping when two men approached their home on Gum Street and began checking for entry points into the home.

The two men entered through an unlocked door at the rear of the home and began searching the home. The victim heard the suspects walking around the kitchen and investigated, stumbling onto the intruders.

Detectives said the boy told them the men tied him up with an extension cord and locked him into one of the rooms in the home.

After the suspects drove off in a red vehicle, the boy was able to break free and run to a neighbor’s house for help. He was not seriously injured.

Police are still looking for the suspects, who are described as possibly Hispanic or Asian men in their 20s.

Comments (93)
  1. Kalifornian says:

Who leaves their 12 Year Old at home alone without a gun!?

1. Horatio Nelson says:

Mary M. Liberal, who thinks that home invasions are just plain fun.

2. Pilot.Dave says:

I leave my 14 year old with a 45 ACP 🙂

1. ROY says:

I leave my kid at home with my M4… BOOM Head-shot on any intruders…

3. Jesse says:

Seriously, a pump action remmington 870 express is super cheap and easy to use. $400, and the best security you can get.

4. me says:

well he had the guns in the game, so, um, yeah.

2. Mary_M says:

Who leaves a 12 year old alone with a gun?

3. Amber says:

Mary, the boy did not have a gun, it says they left him home alone on GUM street

1. Michele says:

That’s funny!!

1. RN says:

Who leaves a 12-yr-old with twelve jars of medical marijuana?

4. DBinVa says:

“The two men stole the boy’s video games and 12 jars of medicinal marijuana, police said.”
    Hmm…could it be that they broke in for the marijuana and not just the video games?

1. Heartland Patriot says:

How dare you? Why, once a news outlet has decreed it, its like Pharaoh: So let it be written, so let it be done…the sticky weed was just a lucky find, of course…

5. Micha Warr says:

Mary was just responding to the prior post and I certainly have left my kids home alone at 12. For Pete’s sake! 12 year olds are quite capable and responsible people if you’ve taught them the basics. Sounds like this young man responded as well as any adult would have. I’m glad he’s safe.

6. Rick says:

Gee what were they they for..HMM the games or the weed. Stupid smoked out parents.

7. Diego Roswell says:

California residents should really heed the news stories and police blogs. Violent crimes and property crimes are way up as the state’s economy tanks. Local police departments are not even responding to property crimes and have such reduced forces that the investigations personnel are not investigating property crimes at all. Sure if you call 911 they will send a cruiser. If you don’t pay a parking ticket or forget to show up for jury duty a detective or marshall will be at your house. You and your neighbors have a better chance just watching out for each other – exercise your second amendment right to own a gun, keep it loaded and close to you – when these thugs come – they mean business.

1. Heartland Patriot says:

Don’t you worry none, come January your new governor, the one, the only Jerry “Moonbeam” Brown will bring law and order to the whole state, just like he did in Oaktown…as well as getting some more gun ban laws passed “for your safety”…man, am I glad I left California after I got out of the military…I’d rather have a hard-hearted governor than an leftist governor…suckers! Glad the kid was okay, though.

8. seanpatriot says:

They werent Asian

9. Philip Kousoubris says:

1. No parents at home.
    2. 12 jars of medicinal marijuana at home.
    3. 12 year old at home, alone.
    Is this the average CA home?
    Enough said.

1. Durazac says:

too much said – a 12 year old is perfectly capable of being home alone if he is half responsible and well parented. That covers 1 and 3. You may not like the medical marijuana, but if that is your only genuine gripe….. a legal substance being stolen, then I hope it’s the average home anywhere. You’re real gripe is that you think children should be guarded 24/7, parents should never be permitted to make such a decision to leave responsible kids at home for a bit, and anyone smoking pot must be a loser worthy of home invasion. I suppose freedom is only what YOU think it should be.

1. Heartland Patriot says:

And YOU win the prize for the poster child of the folks that put that once fine state into the sorry condition it is in…please, keep smoking them tweeds and don’t worry about things like home invasions and robberies…I feel for a lot of the folks in the Central Valley and the Sierras, that they will have to suffer for you folks voting for a Democrat lockdown of the state…but, those unfortunates are welcome to move to the FREE STATES…as long as they leave that entitlement mentality behind…

10. loserville, welfare pigs says:

this is what liberals want and hope to breed more of. keep your obama money flowing right into there drug habits. there parents are already double dipping the government teet. so why shouldn’t there child steal and possibly assault someone. the fault lies with the democrats and there absolute disregard for the REAL world. not there imaginary one where everyone tries and no one abuses the system.

1. Joseph says:

I’m not sure how this became a liberal vs. conservative issue, but your poor grammar is making your political-party-of-choice look bad.
      Teat is spelled with an a, and please learn the difference between there, their and they’re.

1. Chuck says:

Being liberal or conservative isn’t a party-of-choice. Please learn the difference.

2. Heartland Patriot says:

And obviously, since the grammar of the other person was lacking, that makes YOUR viewpoint SO much better than theirs…once again, the elitists have spoken…and proved the point…

2. Durazac says:

I’m pretty sure that the family is innocent of everything – why do you hate them so. How is this in any way related to politics? Like Joseph says, even a basic understanding of proper spelling and grammar couldn’t hurt your argument. I am a semi-conservative republican and am ashamed that people who gripe about their freedoms being at risk are so quick to insult and take away the rights of others. Parents have the RIGHT to decide when their child is old enough to stay home – or do you prefer that the government step in. Medical Marijuana is legal in CA, but you would override that, re-criminalizing and perpetuating the crime you ascribe to the drug. Crime is associated with marijuana BECAUSE it is illegal – not because it is abused. You have your choice, drug cartels and gangs profiting of drugs, or legalization and taxation, eliminating the criminal elemant and 30% of your criminals overnight.

11. John says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess the victims are an ‘ethnic’ family. Some ethnicities love bling and carrying around lots of cash. Their fellow ethnics are well aware of this cultural tendency. And of course the weed. This was not random.

1. SteveC says:

“I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess the victims are an ‘ethnic’ family”

Live Oak is about 80% white so you’re out pretty far on that limb. More likely the parents are born again hippies.

1. Heartland Patriot says:

And I give SteveC the thumbs up on this one…I remember Live Oak being an economically depressed area, as they say…but a mostly white one…

2. SMH says:

So John, this was their fault? Because they are “ethnic”? “Their fellow ethincs”? Every part of your statement is ridiculous. Did you even read what you wrote?
      In case you are actually as ignorant as you sound, ethnicity refers to one’s cultural background/ancestry, therefore, as a Caucasian (which I am going to “go out on a limb” and assume you are), YOU TOO have an ethnicity and are therefore ETHNIC. Idiot.

12. country boy says:

I taught my kids how to handle firearms starting at 6 years old.with a BB gun and moving on up from there… If it was good enough for me, it’s good enough for them.

13. Ed says:

I actually felt sorry for the kid until the “12 jars of medical marijuana” part..then I lol’d and moved on. Karma has a way of catching up with everyone ya know…

1. DBinVA says:

Yeah, the headline is bit misleading.

1. DBinVa says:

Sorry. I meant to say the headline on Drudge was misleading.
        “Home Invaders Tie Up 12-Year-Old Boy, Take Video Games…”

14. john says:

I think leaving the kid with a gun is a grand idea. One of my favorite things to do is search Google News for “accidentally shot” and read stories about kids left alone with guns. Go ahead, try it. There are always heartwarming stories available.

1. robert says:

Or stories of kids killed by pitchfork murderer while families guns are locked for “safety” though oldest child (13) knows how to use them-Modesto(look it up).

If you can’t trust your kids, then don’t leave them alone to defend themselves.

2. Heartland Patriot says:

First off, it would be properly termed a “negligent discharge of a firearm”. Second, things like that stem from mishandling a firearm which generally stems from a lack of safety and firearm operation training. I wouldn’t expect a 12 year old to have sniper or tactical skills, but if the parents were going to have firearms, then the kids should have training on them in regards to safety and basic operation…if you ever notice, it is mostly urban and suburban kids who have these “accidents”…all due to a lack of training. Most rural kids grown up with firearms and so have a much lower incidence of these problems. But, hey, nice plug for the old Brady Campaign there…I’m sure Sarah will send you a “Holiday Card”.

15. 'BB Rabozza says:

The biggest problem here was an unlocked door. Now THAT was stupid.

16. mike says:

More “Hispanic Men” disrespecting our Country and wantonly breaking our laws. Thanks multi cultural Liberals and spinless neo-con Republicans for letting this happen. Hang ém high.

17. lou says:

I’m sorry but I find it funny that the kid couldn’t tell the difference between Hispanic and Asian? Perhaps he should stop playing video games and get out more!

18. me me says:

when I leave the house with my boy inside I leave a note that says ” come in the door is unlock “

19. Edward says:

lol hmmmm Fat TSA agents are somewhere hit with the munchies playing xbox on an airport scaner. The police need to go back an question the boy an see if the intruders were rough when they handled him!

20. Rodger says:

Hmmm, 14 YO home alone palying video games! Mayhaps he smoked the “medicinal” pot himself and sent his games to his buds house so he could explain why the pot was gone? I’m so cynical.