PLACERVILLE (CBS13) – Two Good Samaritans are being credited with saving a Placerville family who were fast asleep inside their burning home.

READ MORE: Chicago-Area Family Still In Shock After They Hired Home Improvement Contractor Via HomeAdvisor, Only For The Contractor To Smash Up Their Property

Susan Read, her son Starr and daughter Sunee woke up early Thursday morning to the sounds of pounding on their doors and windows.

The two men doing the pounding, Jeff Lathrop and Ryan McVeigh, had been on their way to the gym when they saw flames coming from the chimney of Read’s home.

The two men stopped and began pounding on the door’s home trying to wake everyone up.

READ MORE: EB I-80 Blocked In Davis After Deadly Crash; Traffic Being Diverted To Highway 113

“They were banging and screaming ‘Your house is on fire! Your house is on fire,” said Susan.

Susan, Starr and Sunee got out OK and just minutes later part of the roof collapsed on Susan’s bed.

The home’s smoke alarms did not go off until after the two men started banging on the doors.

MORE NEWS: Man Barricades Himself In Elk Grove Home After Car Chase From Sacramento

For now, the Read family is staying in a hotel until they can find a permanent place to stay.