SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office has released the name of a 65-year-old man who was shot and killed as he and another man walked on a sidewalk along a busy roadway in the Sacramento suburb of Elk Grove.

Authorities say Surinder Singh was pronounced dead at the scene after he and the second man were shot on East Stockton Boulevard around 4:30 p.m. Friday.

The Sacramento Bee reports the two men were found by police lying on the sidewalk after a passing motorist called dispatchers.

The name or the current condition of the second man has not been released, but police said Friday he was hospitalized in critical condition.

No arrests have been made, and officials have not released a motive for the shootings.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments (10)
  1. Christina says:

A very nice gentleman. I had the pleasure of working with him through the EGUSD Sp. Education department. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family. I know that he will surely be missed.

2. Trini Rowe says:

This is a horrible and senseless crime.

3. yabbadabbadoo says:

James. Youre a Jack-ass. Too bad one of those bullets didnt travel your way!

4. 1964 says:

james, keep your racist comments to yourself. They said on the news last night that he was from India and Sikh. I know people from India and who are Sikh and they are very nice people. India also happens to be ally of the US.

5. Pavinder Singh says:

james mom watching the 7 11

6. Pavinder Singh says:

james u r jack ass illiterate person with no manner

7. Anne says:

me and my husband always see them at the bus stop on power inn. we would sometimes wave at them as we drive by. they’re always at that bus stop chatting and passing the time away i suppose. i still can’t believe that someone could do this to them. it’s so sad. i noticed yesterday while me and my dog were walking that flowers were left in memory of the deceased and his friend. our heartfelt condolences to the family.

8. Dee says:

That shows how some people don’t need an excuse to do something so stupid like shoot two inocent men walking. This is a cowardly act, hope someone answers for this, so stupid.

9. S_S_RAI says:

“Seeking Justice” Candle-light Vigil

Time:
    Friday, March 11 · 6:00pm – 9:00pm

Location:
    East Stockton Boulevard and Geneva Pointe Drive
    Elk Grove, CA

Americans coming together to support fellow Americans.

10. Manjeet k says:

I can’t imagine what the victims families are going through, may god be with them during this time. I hope to see our young and older Sikh members wear their turbans proudly… There is nothing to be ashamed of about our religion and faith. There are people in the world that are uneducated about different religions. We can’t do anything except be who we are and seek justice, we are not to seek revenge on whom hurt us or our families we will leave that to god and the good word karma. These hate crimes have been going on long enough little Sikh kids with and without turbans girls and boys even adults are always being harassed. My advice to these haters who do not know or think they know the Sikh faith is, please educate yourself about it before you assume who or what we are… There are plenty of scources available (Internet, library) and the Sikh temple does not discriminate you can be any religion and and color as long as you respect us and our belongings I.e our temple… you are welcome to come and ask questions or even go through the library, at some of the temples we have library’s. Don’t hate appreciate, god bless