SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — An elderly Sikh man has died more than a month after a shooting that claimed the life of his friend and that police in a Sacramento suburb are investigating as a possible hate crime.

Gurmej Atwal, who was 78, had been on a ventilator and unable to talk since the March 4 shooting in Elk Grove. His son, Kamaljit  Atwal, confirmed in a telephone interview with The Associated Press that he died Friday.

The elder Atwal and Surinder Singh were gunned down during an afternoon walk in the suburb south of the state capital.

Police say they have no suspects and few clues. But they have said the men might have been targeted because they wore turbans, which often are confused with the head coverings of Muslims.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments (14)
  1. Patti says:

My sincere condolences to both families. Such a tragedy. Sikhs are family oriented and very loving people. I am white and I know this from spending time in the Sikh community. This was just wrong on so many levels.

2. Tiff says:

This makes me so very sad and renders me speechless. How does one gun down two human beings he doesn’t know and worse because they were different? These men were someone’s father, brother, cousin, uncle, grand father etc and they were loved.

What a cruel, cruel world we live in that people cannot be different and their differences ignite fear in those filled with so much anger, ignorance and hatred.

My thoughts are with the family of these men – I can’t imagine the pain they have endured. Just how does a family recover from something like this?

1. B. Storm says:

My feelings exactly….I just saw this announcement as I was
      checking Channel 13. I was just sick to read this….my sadness
      is great for the family.

3. Melissa in NorCal says:

Simply sickening. Some racist idiot confuses the Sikh faith with Islam and you get this. The Sikh are among the most advanced and peaceful people on Earth.

1. Aaron says:

More likely your average Sacramento-area Fox News hate-child.

4. kojhaiskoj_npua says:

Those Killers aren’t Americans! They all pure Haters. Real Americans know the values of all People. At one time, we all came out of Africa shared same DNA, either by the Bible, Anthro studies, or whatever.

5. LADYJUNE says:

So sad. Hope they find the jerks who did this

6. barry O. says:

If you know who did it, you might as well call and collect the money………if you wait, someone else will call and get the money……..you’ll be kicking yourself for not calling………………….

7. johnmunyer says:

Cant even walk down the street minding your own business?Catch em and hang em !

8. rmcsticks says:

Dont call the cops , just take care of it yourself and show these people that we are not one of them….. Sorry for your lose

9. Dolly says:

Mr. Atwal; You and your family have my deepest sympathy. My prayers are with you

10. Lizzie says:

We’ve lived from San Fran, NY, LA, & Sac. This town is the most backward, rude, uneducated, pickup truck red neck town ever! We will never stay here when we retire. There is nothing but hate driving down each n every road n freeway close to Sac. Under paid employees being exploited have driven this hate. Thank the NRA, n the right to bare arms!! What a sin. Peace be with the World.

11. Chris says:

I see these elder men walking around all the time the path I take home from work. These men were very peaceful, and always minded their own business. For several years I see them sitting at the bus stop benches socializing, and it gives me chills every time I pass those same benches, not seeing those men, instead seeing flowers and candles. A true sad site, and story. Nobody deserved this.