SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — New surveys have shown that more teens than ever are tanning in a salon, but new health studies have indicated that the risks may be worse than previously known.

Teens under 18 years of age already need parental permission to use tanning salons — minors under 14 are banned — but California lawmakers will soon vote on whether minors should be prevented from tanning at all.

Senator Ted W. Lieu (D-Torrance) sponsored Senate Bill 746, which goes up for a vote Thursday, after global health officials raised the alarm about too much exposure to ultraviolet rays.

“The World Health Organization in 2009 elevated tanning beds to a level one carcinogen,” Lieu said. “We simply believe parents should not be able to consent for their children to go ahead and have this damage done to their skin.”

The bill would be comparable to banning teens from drinking or smoking regardless of parental permission, Lieu said.

Workers at Planet Beach, one of Sacramento’s 41 tanning salons, were not happy to learn about the proposal and called the measure another example of government overreach in personal lives.

“I think it’s government trying to take control of somebody’s life in all aspects. It’s just another way of grabbing on,” said Sue Dickman.

One of the sponsors of the bill, the California Dermatologists Society, said people who even sporadically use indoor tanning before the age of 35 increase their risk of some form of melanoma by 75 percent.

Comments (31)
  1. bob says:

Brown and his moonbemies can get a no tax budget but the have time for this??????…fire the lot of them.

1. Aaron says:

these girls will develop skin cancer in the coming years. Sun is healthy in natural doses. But artificial UV causes all kinds of terror on your dermis.

2. michellefrommadison says:

Next they’ll just ban teens altogether.

1. Monkeyhead says:

I fail to see how that is a bad thing

1. nichole.m. says:

because teens are the future and will someday rule the world you live in

3. anonymous 90802 says:

I think this is a good idea – in fact I think they should get rid of these tanning beds altogether. I only went a little bit when I was in my 20’s and at 33 I already have a basal cell.

1. michellefrommadison says:

I owI own one, used it constantly for decades and never had a single problem.

1. anonymous 90802 says:

Well good for you.

2. biggerthingsmatter says:

Yes, so I suppose it follows that we should sell cigarettes to minors because my dad doesn’t have lung cancer. I can see you’re incredibly intelligent.

2. David F Shultz says:

i’ll bet it’s somebody else’s fault huh?

3. Sara Fine says:

I went to tanning beds frequently–all of my life–and have no skin cancer, lesions, or even pre-cancerous formations–that in my late forties. It’s genetic folks, it’s level of exposure (are you burning in the bed), it’s luck, it’s fate, it’s my business, not the State. If they want to ban tanning beds in general, that’s a different issue. But requiring a fake ID to tan? Hmmph.

1. Comment says:

So you’re lucky. For all the not so lucky people who do develop skin cancer and don’t have insurance, it is the state’s business because they’ll be paying for their cancer treatment.

4. M says:

And they wonder why jobs and businesses are fleeing this liberal nanny state? Take a guess! Parents…you’re not fit to raise your children. You better bubblewrap them and keep them indoors, something could happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Greg says:

I tried a tanning bed one time back when i was in my early 20’s. And it sounded and felt like i was being microwaved. It almost felt like radiation was seaping into my body. It scared the hell out of me and i never tried one again.

6. David F Shultz says:

can you believe it? it’s a democrat proposing this bill whoda thunk?

7. Judy says:

Banning teens from a tanning salon isn’t going to keep teens from tanning outdoors. Should they bam the beach, lake, parks, sun in general? Tanning is not harmful, sunburns are harmful! A tan is your own bodies defense and sunscreen from the sun. Tanning salon promote moderation, gradual tanning. Not sunburns which causes damage! Tanning lamps are scientifically designed to mimic the sun and salon owners are trained to make sure they follow FDA and FTC guidelines. Anyone at the beach ever tell you how long you can stay outside? What is a safe time to be in the sun? Why take parents rights away from making sure their children do not sunburn when they plan a vacation? Every parent should think twice about such a ban. This is really a ban on parental rights not tanning. No one is going to tell me I can’t make a logical informed decision for my children.

1. Erin says:

Your decision is neither logical, nor informed, since tanning beds DO cause skin cancer… it is a question of how much radiation your skin is exposed to over time. Tanning beds contain WAY more radiation over a short period than being out in the sun, and isn’t hot, so you aren’t as aware of how much damage your’e doing. So you stay out in the sun awhile, your skin tingles, you know to go inside. Not the same with tanning beds, allowing these young people to get steeped in radiation many times greater than they would usually have been exposed to by the age of 20. Yes, sunburns are worse, but again, it’s about OVERALL exposure. My mom had the end of her nose cut off recently due to skin cancer. You really want to be legally allowed to sign your kids up for that? Did you know that tanning is also addictive, and that you could be signing your kid up for a cycle of self-destructive behavior? Is it really worth it just to look brown? I think in some cases the purpose of the government is to protect kids from ignorant parents. This is one of those cases.

2. Beth says:

studies have only recently begun in the last few years on tanning salons and they have all shown that women (especially) under the age of 30 increase thier risk of melanoma by over 70%. I began tanning around the age of 16 and I worked in a tanning salong all through college. We would sell our product with the exact reasoning you just used. However, it’s completely untrue. Yes, you are in a more controlled environment but you are also only recieivng the harmful rays from the sun. Plus, sunburns are not the only thing harmful. UV rays in general are harmful. You could live your entire life without a sunburn and still get melanoma or some other type of skin cancer.

I was diagnosed with stage 3, clarks level 5 melanoma when I was just 23. I absolutely believe this is becuase I used a tanning salon as frequently as I did. I never burned on the tanning bed and very few times in my life have I ever had a sunburn. It spread internally (melanoma is the only skin cancer that spreads internally) and had to have my lymph nodes removed. I had to go through cancer treatment for an entire year. Melanoma is one of the fastest growing cancers today (especially in young adults) and it is like the 4th leading cause of death amongst cancers. I am only 28 and I will live the rest of my life as a high risk patient. So if this law had present when I was a teen, yes I may have had the typical teen response but it could very possibly prolonged my life. It’s not about parental rights, parents as a whole should be taking more responsibility for their minor children anyways. If a logical informed decision means allowing your child to put themselves at that kind of risk, then by all means… sign a potential death sentence.

1. Susan says:

Beth, thank you for letting people know. These lucky ones that have tanned in tanning beds and DON”T have cancer are very lucky. I tanned from 40-46, and had melanoma by 46. I’m lucky to be alive 5 years later, but it’s always lurking. But look at these folks skin that have tanned that way for years. I’ll bet it’s like leather!!! My skin look horrible and then i have all my wonderful scars from the melanoma. Don’t be stupid people. It can kiil you and it ages you horribly even if you live!!

8. biggerthingsmatter says:

I am shocked that anyone doesn’t know tanning beds will still give you cancer. Who in the world has been saying otherwise? I really thought this information was common knowledge. Eh… more disappointing news reinforcing American idiocy. Well, normally I’d say let the laws of evolution play out and go ahead and let morons bake themselves and die of cancer and ugly leather skin, but teens are supposed to be stupid. That’s why we leave their safety and health up to their parents. When the parents fail, the people have to step in…. by the way that’s what a Government could be:the people. All just lookin out for each other. 🙂 I am pretty sure that’s what this law is about.

9. Stephanie Mauser says:

they seem to simply believe that parents are incapable of deciding whether a thing is bad for their kids or not. personally, i can’t see paying for what one can get for free; if they ban the kids from the salons, they will just be lolling about outside more often. what next, sun screen patrol at the beach?

1. Erin says:

So… because you choose to disregard study after study that says it’s harmful, that means it’s not harmful, what, because you say so, and your kid can just spend the rest of her life dealing with the consequences? The whole “I can ruin my kid if I want to” mentality really bothers me… parents, you’re there to protect your kids.

10. Sara Fien says:

Get out of people’s private lives. This is not proven, only theory. And are they next going to arrest people for having a sunburned kid on the beach? Where does it stop? This is the whole point–not that it may be unhealthy, but that the govt is going to interfere and that’s going to require a whole extra level of staff on our taxpaying shirttail. Parents: Don’t let your kids use tanning salons. CA State: Stay out of it.

11. jo says:

Why do you wanna look tan anyway? it doesn’t like right on white people, no offense but the only tans that are worth it are the one’s you get working in the fields or working on a farm.

12. Al says:

How about spending more time and money on drug prevention, and leave tanning for another time?

13. Momofteengirl says:

My teenage daughter has asked me to go to tanning before. The answer is always NO! She is 15 and has great skin and I don’t want her to ruin it. Some people in my family have had skin cancer before, and I am problems from just suntanning when I was young. Also, she has to wear sun screen when she is gong to be out for long periods of time in the sun and when swimming. She may get mad at me now, but she will be thankful later. I wish my parents had been more stricter with me.

14. Megan says:

I have no problem with laws like this. Teens are more concerned about fitting in and looking good, they are young and the consequences of things like this don’t apply to them as they feel immortal. I know, I was a teen not that long ago. Parents are supposed to watch out for their children and their health, but even the comments here have proven that just because you are an adult, doesn’t mean you know any more than your child. Tanning is more dangerous than sun exposure as the amount of radiation you are exposed to in a ten minute tanning session is far more than what you would get from a few minutes out in the sun. I had to watch my best friend’s father die from skin cancer and it was horrible, painful, and slow. It took five years for the cancer to kill him and it was difficult for everyone. If you’re so determined to prematurely age your children and up their chances of developing one of the worst forms of cancer, buy your own tanning bed.

15. Sabrina says:

When you’re young you think your invincible. Well I am 32 now and I have an 8 cm scar on my hip from melanoma. I began tanning 17 years ago and I tanned all through my mid 20’s. Now I get to go the dermatologist at least 4 times a year for the rest of my life. I get to see all these skin cancer specialists and have pictures taken of my entire body. If I had listened back then I could have saved myself a lot of grief and money. You can die from Melanoma!!! Is it really so bad that people are actually trying to look out for your health and your finances? I personally don’t think so.

16. blah says:

Look, if they want to be stupid, I say let them. Teach them about the danger. If they still do it, what’s there to stop them? It’s like drinking or smoking or sex. Just because they know they danger, and because they aren’t allowed to do it, they still do it anyway.