SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Three raccoons were shot and killed by Animal Control officers after the animals attacked a woman and her dog Tuesday night.

A woman was walking her two dogs at 21st and D streets when she was attacked at about 9 p.m., according to city staff. A 25-pound poodle was severely attacked while the woman suffered a few minor bites and scratches.

Animal Control officers had the raccoons trapped in a tree and shot them down around 11 p.m..

Aggressive raccoons have attacked over other Sacramento residents over the past two weeks, prompting concerns from city health officials that the animals could be infected with rabies.

In each of the previous attacks, a raccoon ran toward its victims — one attack took place near the intersection of 4th Street and P streets and the other took place near 9th Street and P Street — bit the pedestrian and attacked the pedestrian’s dog.

Comments (10)
  1. Randy Gudgel says:

Whoever is writing these things REALLY needs to re-read their stuff a good 5 or 6 times before posting it on here.

1. Matt says:

I was thinking the same exact thing. This is absolutely horrible on so many levels. I just had to laugh and send it to my mom, who has been an English Teacher since I was 8 years old.

2. JonJon says:

Did the raccoons have a gun with them?

3. Matt says:

Dear God this person has awful English skills. Did you just post up random sentences from a summary or what?

4. Bogdonjuan says:

I am willing to bet after these raccoons are tested none will have rabies.

5. oey says:

If the authorities would like to come to my neighborhood in Citrus Heights…. I would be more than happy to show them the nests! I am tired of being kept in my home after dark due to these damn things! Over the years living here, there have always been a few, plus skunks and possums. But this year, it seems there are MANY more of everything and they are quite aggressive!

6. cinsac says:

A good old fashion coon hunt in Sactown. Good grief!

7. LD says:

@Matt CBS Sac13 outsources it’s writers from the Philippines. All done online. With California jobs flagging you would think this news source be willing to use local writers, but no. It’s all about the buck. They get a paycheck, and YOU get very poorly written community journalism and unemployment or welfare and food stamps. Welcome to Super Max!

8. Rusty says:

Why aren’t coons shot on the spot when they attack in S. Sac or Oak Park?

9. Michelle says:

WHY DIDN’T THEY CALL DUKE’S WILDLIFE CONTROL? MAYBE NO ONE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN HURT IF THEY DID THAT WHEN THE ATTACKS FIRST STARTED. NOW PEOPLE AND PETS ARE HURT, AND SOME DEAD RACCOONS. SAD.