SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – The city of Sacramento is dropping charges against some “Occupy Sacramento” protesters who had been arrested in Cesar Chavez Park.

Wednesday, Sacramento City Attorney Eileen Teichert confirmed that charges against people charged with only one violation of the Cesar Chavez Park use code would be dropped.

“After evaluating the facts of each case and criminal history of each defendant, the City Attorney’s Office has determined that the arrest and jail time that each dismissed defendant served achieved the people of the state of California’s demand for substantial justice,” said Teichert. “The City Attorney’s Office will continue to prosecute those defendants charged with multiple violations of Sacramento City Code section 12.72.090 that occurred at Cesar Chavez Park.”

So far, Sacramento police has arrested more than 80 protesters.

Attorneys for the “Occupy Sacramento” group have been calling for city leaders to rescind the curfew that makes it illegal to continue protests overnight, saying the First Amendment free assembly rights of protesters are being violated because they are not being allowed to gather in Cesar Chavez Park past 11 p.m.

Comments
  1. Ginger Reese says:

    I think they should have charged all of the one who don’t live in Sacramento. They stopped the other people from going into the park.

Leave a Reply