VACAVILLE, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a deadly home fire in Vacaville was accidental and likely caused by a lit cigarette.

The Monday morning blaze claimed the life of one of the home’s residents, 52-year-old Bobbie Mitchell, and a dog.

Another dog was rescued. Mitchell’s husband was apparently away at work at the time.

Vacaville police Sgt. Jeff King said on Tuesday there was no indication the fire was a case of arson.

Cigarette butts were found in the master bedroom. But King said officials are still awaiting the results of several forensic tests to determine the exact cause of the blaze.

The home and its contents suffered an estimated $70,000 worth of damage.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

Comments

Leave a Reply