SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – The Dental Board of California announced on Tuesday that it has suspended the license of a Sacramento dentist for allegedly performing unnecessary procedures such as root canals and fillings on patients’ healthy teeth.

The dentist, David Milton Lewis, is also accused of submitting numerous false insurance claims for work that was never performed.
Lewis, who has a private practice on Marconi Avenue in Sacramento, is prohibited from performing any dentistry until the board’s administrative case against him has been resolved.

Dental Board investigators found evidence that Lewis performed the unnecessary procedures on at least 17 patients, in some cases causing irreparable harm to their teeth.

They also allege that Lewis submitted fraudulent reimbursement claims to an insurance company, in one case for crowns placed on two teeth that didn’t exist in the patient’s mouth.

They say the investigation has also found that Lewis was inappropriately offering cash rewards to UPS employees in exchange for referrals.

“David Lewis’ actions are unacceptable,” said Board Executive Officer Richard DeCuir in a press release. “Consumer protection is the top priority of the Dental Board of California, and we are committed to stopping this kind of activity dead in its tracks whenever we find it.”

An administrative law judge ruled that permitting Dr. Lewis to continue practicing dentistry would endanger the public health, safety or welfare, and that waiting for a hearing on the issue before imposing the suspension might result in serious injury to the public. The board will now proceed with its efforts to seek disciplinary action, including revocation of Lewis’ license.

An administrative hearing will be held to address the violations found during the investigation. The date of the hearing wasn’t announced. Criminal charges may also be sought in connection with the case, according to the Dental Board.

Comments (10)
  1. Lee Juro says:

Unfortunately, he is not the only one! While in Warren, Michigan, I set up an appointment with a new dentist to do one of my two annual cleaning. When I came in, they took the full mouth X-Ray (wich may be ok for the first time), but did not do any cleaning, and in the end, the Office Manager came with a list of … work to replace a bridge which was fine (and still is today after more than 5 yrs.), totaling from my own pocket over $2,400.00, plus whatever was the insurance part!!! I have never went back to that place! I went to another dentist, and, sure enough, he did not find that unnecessary work! What crooks! One more mention. When I moved to the new dentist, I asked that office to give me the X-Ray films for which I paid, and I was … refused… It tells me of people character. These type of dentists and their offices should be dealt with them, and dealt harshly. They don’t deserve to be in this business.

2. Nicole says:

I KNEW IT! He was my dentist for years, I stopped going because I felt that he was giving me fillings I didn’t need. Even though I kept really good care of my teeth, never had any pain, every 6 month visit he would find at least one cavity. I quit going about 5 years ago because I felt he was performing unnecessary work, which I told my Dad (he was a patient too) and he didn’t believe me. My dad has spent thousands on work this guy has done, and has been a patient up until now. About 4 years ago, one of the fillings Lewis put in, fell out when I was flossing. Been fine ever since, never had pain, which just verified what I thought. What a scam!!

3. Rusty says:

Dentists and vets are the used car salesmen today. They will do whatever to extract as much as they can from you, and I don’t mean just teeth.

4. Mike says:

I have to agree. I was a dental assistant for 22 years, and worked for the same dentist for 18 of those. He was an old-school dentist, and only performed necessary work. It wasn’t unusual for him to do a silver filling when other dentists would have upsold to a crown—and a gold one at that.

He passed away and I worked for two dentists after that. Both were crooks. I watched them upsell patients to more expensive work, put crowns on teeth that could have been filled. The second was worse—big office, lots of high tech equipment, he did every procedure under the sun, and if a patient had insurance they were non surprisingly written estimates which would use up all their yearly benefits.

They push veneers like crazy to correct aesthetic issues, when the better solution would be Invisalign braces and whitening, But that’s less money than 8 veneers.

The new dentistry is all about money. That’s it.

5. Invisalign braces Las Vegas says:

Indeed a very nice post. I am also associated with Invisalign braces Las Vegas, Orthodontist Las Vegas,Kids Braces Las Vegas. I like to read new and fresh posts on this subject and I am your regular post reader. Thanks for writing such a good post.

6. Dr. Del Greenhalg says:

During my time as a dentist in el paso I have encountered such dentists. In fact in dental school I was surprised at the number of dentists that didn’t have their patient’s best interest in mind. But at the same time I really did meet some great individuals and definitely agree that you should screen your dentist well.

7. Luiza says:

If any other patients were affected by this dentist, they may want to visit this site: http://www.kcrlegal.com/dentist-suspended-unnecessary-root-canals.aspx

8. Gute Filme says:

hey there and thank you to your info ? I’ve definitely picked up anything new from proper here. I did then again experience several technical points using this web site, as I experienced to reload the website a lot of times previous to I may get it to load correctly. I had been thinking about if your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes impact your placement in google and can harm your high-quality rating if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and could glance out for much more of your respective fascinating content. Make sure you update this again very soon..